Tuesday 22 March 2016

Live Review: 90's Mania @ Rooty Hill RSL - 20.3.16


We've been saying it for a while, the 90s is back in a big way. We're all getting older, cause 90s is the retro to listen to - doesn't it make you feel so very old? On Sunday night I got to experience the best of early 90s dance music, 90's Mania, featuring the very big talents of Snap, Corona and C&C Music Factory - a fun night that made me dance my butt off!

It was always going to be an interesting evening, and one I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew that it was going to be hard to recreate the magic of dance music on stage, especially without all the people involved being there. Also what to expect knowing that while all these acts had MASSIVE hits, they had limited success after these hits. But still, I was excited, and while the night may not have been perfect, it was a helluva lot of fun and I am so very glad I went.


The very talented DJ Nick Skitz started the evening on the decks, and he was amazing. You can see how much he loves this music as he took such care in picking the absolute perfect 90s tunes for us to boogie to and sing with as we waited for the show. People think it's easy to be a good DJ, especially when talents like Nick Skitz make it seem so simple; but it is a definite art. I truly felt like I was clubbing back in the 90s.


C&C Music Factory were such a massive favourite of mine and I was very excited to see them, but wondered who would appearing, especially since David Cole died in 1996. I was surprised to see it was just original rapper, Freedom Williams (a wiki search when I came home told me he acquired the trademark to the name in 2003, against the wishes of Robert Clivelles). First on stage was the guest vocalist who belted out "Deeper Love", now I wish I know her name as she was amazing. Such a great vocalist and attitude filled performer. Williams is still a talented rapper and has a natural stage presence, but it lacked some magic; though it was great to hear, "Gonna Make You Sweat", "Here We Go", "Things That Make You Go Hmmm", and I was so happy to hear, "Do You Wanna Get Funky?" It was an enjoyable performance, especially knowing every song, but Williams' show was probably the weakest of the evening.


Next up was Corona, and wow was she likeable. She seemed to have a warm heart and engaged the most with the audience - she seemed to be having such a good time. Corona also seemed to perform the most songs, there were her three big Australian Top Ten hits, "Rhythm of the Night", "Baby, Baby" and "Try Me Out"; as well as "I Don't Want To Be a Star" and a few I didn't know. She even did a cover of Whitney's, "I Will Always Love You" - the only ballad played during the whole night. Her voice did sound great in the song, and I did get to sing a note of the song into the mic, so I was happy! This was such a fun set and probably the most polished of the evening - would happily see Corona again.


Now I also wasn't sure who to expect on stage from Snap, an act that has so many songs I simply love. Snap was original vocalist, the very talented Penny Ford (who I just found out also did vocals for one of my favourite Soul II Soul songs), sadly rapper Turbo B wasn't on the tour. Penny started big and bold, that voice is exceptional. But when they hit, "The Power", and a new rapper came out, something seemed to go wrong in the song and Penny was not impressed. The rest of the set sounded flawless, but she couldn't seem to let the mistake go and seemed to be blaming it all on the rapper. The poor guy copped a lot of flack from Penny all night, it was both hilarious and awkward (DOn't you hate it when Mum and Dad fight?). My best friend gave me him a reassuring smile towards the end and he smiled and shrugged, clearly a tough night for him. But all this aside, it was a fun set with some brilliant songs, "Ooops Up", "Mary Had a Little Boy", "Cult of Snap" (my favourite) and we heard, "Rhythm is a Dancer" twice. Would love to have heard "Colour of Love" and "Exterminate". All in all, band domestics aside, they were a great finish to the night and were so much fun.

We were told at the end they are planning a 90s Mania 2, I'd love to see who the acts are - it felt like the British TV show, "The Big Reunion" - now that's a tour I would love. 90s Mania was such an enjoyable night of fun retro, and while it may not have been perfect, I left with a smile, sore feet and a great experience.

Join us on social media to find when out we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:
https://twitter.com/InternJukebox 

No comments:

Post a Comment