Tuesday 13 January 2015

Single of the Week: Elastic Heart - Sia


Everything old is new again. My first single of the week of the year for 2015 featured in my Top 20 songs of 2013. That's right, Sia, the winner of my best single of 2014 ("Chandelier" is so bloody amazing), has re-recorded and re-released "Elastic Heart", a song I have continued to love for a few years. This version featured on her last album, "1000 Forms of Fear", whereas the original, which also featured The Weeknd on vocals, was from the second "Hunger Games" film.

We'll talk about the clip in a minute, but let's forget the controversy for a moment and talk about the song. Put simply, it's a piece of pop gold. Part power ballad, part slowed down dance track, it's another showcase for Sia's uniquely brilliant voice. And lyrically she's firing again, initially I loved, "Oh why can I not conquer love?", and still love it. It's about overcoming heartbreak and being resilient, a message we all need from time to time. While The Weeknd's vocals were great, they are not missed here, and it probably adds to the track not having him here - it makes the solo statement about loss of love more insightful. Sia continues to be Australia's most intriguing pop star.


Now let's talk about the awesome film clip. Plain and simple, this is not pedophilia. It's preposterous to say that it is. this is simply art! And I actually can't believe that people are even still arguing what the clip is about. Sia has come forward, which says a lot considering how much she hates the spotlight, and said "All I can say is Maddie and Shia are two of the only actors I felt could play these two warring 'Sia' self states." Well that answers it! Maddie from Dance Moms and Shia LeBeouf are incredible together. The choreography is spot on and the clip is rivetting. This is not just a film clip - this is a short film!

This is a worthy winner of my first single of the week for 2015!

So what do you think of the clip? Tell me in the comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment