Tuesday 1 December 2015

Top 5 Songs: Kim Wilde


When you are listing the best female pop acts of the 80s and 90s, you just have to list pop powerhouse, Kim Wilde. With some massive hits to her name in both decades, it was about time we celebrated her career with a Top 5 songs list.

Kim Wilde is an artist who brings absolute joy with some great songs and sheer spunk. You have to love that video of a drunk Kim Wilde singing on the London Tube. She is a woman with true talent and a knack for recording songs that are very infectious.

As always, there were a number of brilliant songs that just missed out on the list. "Four Letter Word" is such a beautiful song, and "View From a Bridge" is a classic; as is "Chequered Love". Her cover of "Sleeping Satellite" is a winner, and it was so hard not finding a spot for the brilliant "Cambodia", a good song I'm devastated missed the list.

So what are your favourite Kim Wilde songs? Tell us in the comments section below.

5 - Kids in America



Kim's first hit, "Kids in America" is truly one of those iconic 80s songs that everyone knows, and loves. It has such a great 80s vibe, with those great synths and brilliant vocals, with the right level of attitude. The song is produced incredibly and the lyrics are fun, fast and fabulous. This song always gets people smiling and moving. Now jump and sing along, "We're the kids in America" ...

4 - You Came



Written about the birth of her nephew, "You Came" is such a vibrant and fun pop song. Taking its inspiration from the late 80s, the song has some very full synths and some big backing vocals. Lyrically it's such a special song, "You can't imagine the joy you bring, my life will never be the same". A positive pop song that makes you smile and is so easy to sing along with, a very classic Kim Wilde tune.

3 - Love is Holy



I vividly remember when "Love is Holy" came out, I was in my last year of High School and music was everything to me. I hadn't yet heard the song, but the CD single was on special for 99 cents, so I bought it. Naturally, as soon as I played the song, I fell in love with it immediately. This is a great mid tempo pop song, with a slight rock edge. Kim sounds great and the tune takes us on quite the journey. My favourite original Kim Wilde song!

2 - If I Can't Have You



I am currently producing a show called, "The Girlie Show", playing in Melbourne and Sydney next year, a play about lining up for tickets for Madonna's "The Girlie Show" tour. "If I Can't Have You" reminds me personally of lining up for those tickets. I was first in line for tickets at Wagga Wagga Ticketek and the DJ who did the breakfast shift at the radio station upstairs arrived and said he'd put some songs on for me. I picked a Madonna tune and this Kim Wilde classic, because I was obsessed with it at the time -still am. Kim took a disco classic and gave it a brilliant 90s vibe. This was a massive hit here in Australia and was in every club I went to at the time. Still makes me want to dance.

1 - You Keep Me Hanging On



Here's another song that gives me memories. As a child I loved this song, though I never understood it. I used to wonder why she didn't just leave, how could this man keep her "hanging on"? As an adult, whenever my heart has been broken and he's kept me "hanging on", I think of this song - and understand it so well. This is how you do a cover, Kim Wilde took a very famous song and put her own spin on it. A great rock beat with a pop feel, some great backing vocals and a powerhouse vocal performance. This is a classic, a song I will love forever.

Join us on social media to find when out we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:

No comments:

Post a Comment