Thursday 12 January 2017

Top 5 Songs: Lisa Stansfield


Time for our weekly Top 5 songs list from an artist we love. And there is serious love going on for the wondrous Lisa Stansfield. She emerged in 1989 and for a number of years released amazing songs that combined pop and soul, And that voice, Lisa was graced with an amazing instrument. We're very excited to present the list this week.

Lisa has had so many good songs over the years, and it was hard just picking five. Sorry to have missed out great songs like, "This is the Right Time", "Little Bit of Heaven" and "Never, Never Gonna Give You Up", these are great tunes. And there is great sorrow that "All Woman" has missed the list, that song is so beautiful.

What's your favourite Lisa Stansfield song? Agree with us? Tell us in the comments section below.

5 - Someday (I'm Coming Back)



Was there anything that "The Bodyguard" soundtrack couldn't do? It had those incredible Whitney songs, but it also had some amazing tracks by other artists, including a song by "Drag Race" judge, Michelle Visage. The best of the non-Whitney songs is definitely this funky little gem from Lisa. This ballad with a beat has a beautiful ease that is hard to resist. Stanfield's voice is electric and the song has so many feel good qualities. While it may not have been a hit here in Australia, it certainly deserved to be.

4 - Time To Make You Mine



This is one seriously sexy song. That beat is so incredible, it is deep and hard (now this sounds rude), combine the beat with Stanfield's playful and seductive vocals and you have a winner. The chorus is sublime and has such a perfect longing. Then the horns come in and it is perfection. And remember the clip, now that was hot!! This is a song I wish more people knew because it is a brilliant tune that I'm sure has helped conceive a number of children.

3 - The Real Thing



Lisa Stansfield has an amazing ability to make music that connects. "The Real Thing" is a perfect example of this. Lyrically, this song is brilliant, a song about no longer being ashamed of love, whether it be because of race, religion or sexuality, "We've got nothing to hide, it's just love". This was before it was seen as the norm to celebrate diversity. As a young gay man I was so inspired by this song. And vocally Lisa is again wonderful, that belt is brilliantly unique.

2 - Change



On my 16th birthday I had to go to school, I had a test and it was sports day, I hated sports day. The only thing that got me through was the "Real Love" album my brother had given me that morning. All day I snuck listens to this song with my discman. I still feel the excitement when I listen to this song. There's such a beautiful subtly to the start of this track, that builds into something energetic and addictive. This track has a beautiful heart that is truly undeniable.

1 - All Around the World



There really could be no other song at one besides this worldwide smash. The song starts perfectly with, "I don't know where my baby is", I hear that and I smile, I know what is coming. It's the perfect combination of pop and soul with a fantastic hook and infectious chorus. Stansfield's voice is exquisite, there's so much longing her "white woman soul" voice. This is as close to perfect as pop gets - listen to again, you know you want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment