Monday 22 February 2016

Album Review: This is Acting - Sia


It's a great sign for the year ahead when the first album I get in 2016 is truly a special one. Sia is back, and she is back in a big way, I'm already calling it, "This is Acting" will be in my Top Ten albums for 2016!

I have truly gone Sia crazy over the past few years, and this album is only going to keep that obsession going! This is a brilliant piece of pop, and while the singles may not jump out as largely as "1000 Forms of Fears", there's no "Chandelier" here, but when looking at the album as a whole, this is a superior album.


It seems insane that this album is made up of songs rejected from other artists, and I've heard Rihanna's new album - she could have done with some of these songs! And I would love to hear Adele's version of "Bird Set Free" or "Alive". I love that Sia didn't just leave the songs on the shelf but instead gave them the life they deserved. Sia is a brilliant lyricist, you really can't go past a classic Sia metaphor. Then there's her ridiculous voice, the things she can do and the emotion she can elicit is truly hard to believe. What an exceptional talent she is!

Let's look at the songs, first single "Alive", otherwise known as the one written with Adele, is just as good as when it was released last year. It made my Top 50 songs for last year and the passion is still there, plus those amazing vocals. A great track indeed.


First promo single, "Bird Set Free" was passed over in Pitch Perfect 2 for "Flashlight", another Sia song. I truly think this is the better song. Yes, it is a grower, but a brilliant one. It took me a few months to really understand it's brilliance, and what a great message, "I don't care if I sing off key, I find myself in my melodies", it seems like a lyric Sia wrote for herself. The passion this song delivers is truly a special gift.

New single, "Cheap Thrills", is probably my favourite song on the album. For days I have been walking around singing, "I don't need dollar bills to have fun tonight, I need cheap thrills". It's an amazing party song with just a hint of darkness, it would be too simple to write it off as another "Chandelier", this is its own awesome party tune.

As for the rest of the tracks, there's not a bad one here. Highlights include "One Million Bullets", a classic Sia tune with a great beat and stunning vibrato vocals. "Move Your Body" is another awesome party track with a beautifully intense beat. The Kanye co-written "Reaper" is the hit Rihanna should have had. This passionate tune has a great message and some kick arse lyrics. And as for "Broken Glass", this is another I have had on repeat. A good Sia track has a habit of reaching deep inside my soul and this track does just that with those haunting vocals.

Long may Sia reign as the Queen of Australian pop, I adore her - now I just wish she'd tour! Get this album, it is a winner and already one of the best of the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment