Sunday 28 February 2016

Live Review: Belinda Carlisle @ The Rooty Hill RSL


Well if you're going to start your Australian Tour anywhere, why shouldn't it be at The Rooty Hill RSL Club? And the crowd did seem happy about it, and hearing Belinda say the words, "Hey Rooty Hill" did make me giggle.



Belinda Carlisle is an icon, plain and simple. She is an artist I have been wanting to see for the longest time, and finally I got to see her this past Friday night, and I was not disappointed. Off the bat, it must be said that she is an extraordinary vocalist. Her trademark voice sounded as good as ever on Friday night and she belted out her many hits with passion and gusto.

Belinda isn't a big talker in between songs, but that's okay, her stage presence is incredible and she clearly feels most comfortable when singing, and singing she does so well.


Going to the gig I knew she'd do the big hits, "Heaven is a Place on Earth", "Summer Rain" and "Leave a Light On", but there was a bucket list of other songs I really wanted to hear and most of those were crossed off before the end of the night. Belinda performed for 90 electrifying minutes and I adored each and every second. She began with one of my bucket list songs, "Runway Horses", a beautiful way to start the night and the mid tempo ballad allowed us to see we were in for a vocal powerhouse evening.

Belinda quickly went through her back catalogue of hits and the crowd was loving it. One of the highlights of the night had to be when she started "I Get Weak" (another on my bucket list), the song began and there were no vocals, clearly Belinda had forgotten the words. She laughed and told us it happens from time to time, after a quick word to her exceptional back up singer, she was off and running again and the song was perfect.

The other of my bucket list songs I wasn't expecting to hear was, "Big Scary Animal", it was a part of the massive 5 song encore and I was so ecstatic, love some 90s Belinda Carlisle, and hearing that and "In Too Deep", was very special for me.

Naturally the big hits went off and had the audience up and dancing (well most of them, why go to a gig and sit down all night? It's pop, it's made for dancing). Belinda did 3 Go-Go's songs, and they were incredible, especially the double header of "Our Lips Are Sealed" and "We Got the Beat", the reserved Belinda even made a joke about Australia thinking the song was called, "Alex the Seal". Other songs to get the crowd all pumped were, "Leave a Light on", "Summer Rain" and "La Luna". For me, I loved hearing, "Mad About You", what a great song and it was performed with such love.


Obviously the highlight of the night was "Heaven is a Place on Earth". I listed it last year in the Top 20 of my favourite songs of all time. She told us to sing along as we'd all know the words, and we did. She began it as a beautiful ballad, letting us appreciate those words and her voice and then the track began again, in all its pop glory. It was a truly special shared experience, Belinda and her eager crowd.

What a great night, one I am sooooo glad I went and saw. Psuedo Echo as support act were also great. But this was Belinda's night, and after all these years she is still a major star!


Join us on social media to find when out we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:

No comments:

Post a Comment