Wednesday 17 February 2016

The Girlie Show - A life of love for Madonna + the cast's favourite Madonna songs!


So for the past few months I have been working on a play called, "The Girlie Show", a play set in 1993. It's all about 5 young Madonna fans who meet in line for Madonna's "The Girlie Show' tour, the first time Madonna came to Australia. And in a lovely turn of coincidence, Madonna will be back in just a few short weeks for "Rebel Heart" - I am going to Sydney and Melbourne and I am bloody stoked!

The play first premiered in Melbourne for the Midsumma festival at La Mama Courthouse in January. It had full houses, audiences loving it, and critics raving, "It is a tremendous play, satisfying on every level. I might even say it was immaculate" - Australian Stage. Then we brought the show to Sydney with a whole new cast for Mardi Gras at the Old 505 Theatre in Newtown. Again audiences have gone crazy for the show and the critics have swooned, "The Girlie Show is definitely in vogue".

So we still have three nights in Sydney - we must close on Saturday February 20, so Sydneysiders get the few remaining tickets and those outside of Australia, tell your Aussie friends to support the show. Tix are available at: http://old505theatre.com/shows/the-girlie-show-1448256842.html

Then what? This can't be the end, this cannot be the final curtain. We are already looking at taking it to other gay festivals in Australia, and we would not be adverse to taking it overseas. And the idea of a film has surfaced, it is a very filmic story - so watch this space, or even better, join our Facebook page and then you can really see what is happening with the show next:  https://www.facebook.com/The-Girlie-Show-1490159861279389/


So why Madonna? It is a question I get ALL THE TIME! This is isn't my first Madonna based show. Two years ago I performed my one man autobiographical show, "Everything I Know I Learnt From Madonna" in both Melbourne and Sydney. I have a tattoo, extensive memorabilia and a worrying level of knowledge of the Queen of Pop. And she is the Queen. I will never love another artist like I love Madonna - it is diva worship at its ultimate. The music gets me, Madonna is such an amazing lyricist. She has a knack for crafting lyrics that people are able to just slot themselves into. Her songs are my anthems for heartbreaks, parties and moments that I need a pick me up. And as a person? She is the Queen. She has a don't fuck with me attitude I admire and her story of fame is inspiring, She has always shown that if you put your mind to something, you can achieve it. But mostly, I can't tell you why, it's just something I feel in my soul, in my heart, this love for Madonna. And as a writer, the best way for me to show my love is to write theatre pieces that are essentially an open love letter to Madonna!


So the play isn't just me, there are 10 other amazing actors, and I asked a few of them their favourite Madonna songs, and this was the responses they gave me. Please tell me your favourite in the comments section below:

Campbell Briggs - "Hollywood"


I will never forget the moment when I saw Madonna lock lips with Britney Spears on stage at the 2003 MTV Video Music Awards, and I will never forget the song that was playing when it happened. Hollywood was the song, the second single from Madonna’s 2003 album American Life and ever since seeing that performance it has been my favourite Madonna song. 
In my eyes Hollywood is just as brilliant as every other Madonna tune, however it is the reaction this performance caused, rather than the song itself that makes it so memorable for me. As soon as the clip was played in a segment of the news my father lunged for the remote and flicked to another network, only to have the same clip playing on that channel as well. But for all of my dads efforts, the damage was done. At age seven I had seen two girls kiss and there was no going back. 
I proceeded to follow my mum round for next week pestering her for answers to questions like “Are they allowed to do that?” “Do they have to get married now?” “Why can’t they get married?” “Have you ever kissed a girl?”
Madonna, this song, and that iconic performance was the first time in my (albeit short) life that I realised that people can and are attracted to people of their own gender. I went on to learn that it wasn’t wrong, or strange, that it was to be celebrated and when you’re comfortable enough, expressed. That is why Hollywood is so memorable for me, thats why it is my favourite, because even though I wasn’t brought up through Madonna mania in the eighties and nineties, the queen still managed to have a lasting impact on my life. 

Thomas G Burt - "Justify my Love" - The Beast Within Mix

My favourite song of Madonna’s is by far The Beast Within from the Immaculate Collection Sessions. The whispered vocals are incredibly fresh and the way the song builds to the final “what’re you gonna do” feels somehow both invigorating and cathartic, and it’s brilliant on every listen. You can see the roots of Erotica, one of my favourite albums, and seeing that raw style makes for a fantastic song. 

Adam Carr - "Burning Up" / "Borderline"

I’m lucky enough to have been of age when the Madonna phenomenon first started in the early/mid 80’s. Although I have many favourites each representing a time in my life the first album would have to be the standout. ‘Burning Up” and “Borderline” were sent to me on a ‘mix tape’ by my first girlfriend during a devastating breakup causing much heartache, listening to the Madonna back catalogue while doing this play it’s taken me back to those days and memories of a first love.
We were 11.

Mat Glessing - "Human Nature"

My favorite Madonna song is a bit unorthodox. Human Nature was released when I was 11 and its playfulness appealed to me. It came out at the beginning of my evolution into a sexual being and it taught me to relax about the subject even though many do not.


Prudence Holloway - "Promise To Try"

“Promise to Try” from the Like a Prayer album. In this song you get a glimpse of who Madonna is and where she's come from, particularly in this song and also in the whole album. The song is stripped back, raw and honest which is beautifully reflected in the choice of a more "classical" instrumentation.

Chantel Leseberg - "Frozen"

I may upset some early Madonna fans with this choice, but the first time I really remember taking notice of Madonna (besides the rendition of Material Girl in Sesame Street Cereal Girl and watching 
League of their Own on repeat), was when I was 10. Watching Video Hits, this mysterious, shadowy 
dark figure appeared on my screen with a haunting and sweet voice. Holding my Impulse deodorant can and with a trampoline as my stage I'd be singing and acting out this song - I was brilliant. Listening to it again now - it's still eerily beautiful, and incredibly nostalgic. 


 Billie Scott - "Like A Prayer"

Like a Prayer. No question. It's one of my motivation songs, whether going to an audition, out, gym, whatever it is Like a Prayer will take you there.



Come see the show! Share this love for Madonna!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment