Wednesday 19 October 2016

Album Review: Following My Intuition - Craig David


Late 90s, early 00s pop is back in a big way, so it seemed the perfect time for a Craig David comeback, and unlike many of his contemporaries who are satisfied with retro tours, Mr David has released some new music. The good news, the album is pretty damn good and ranks up there as one of his strongest.

I would certainly put myself into the category of Craig David fan. I remember when "Fill Me In" came out and I was hooked. "Walking Away" is still a massive favourite and I absolutely adore, "Hidden Agenda", "Rewind" and "Insomnia". So I was excited by this album, especially with the releases Craig has had this year. His duet with Katy B, "Who Am I", will be high up on my favourite songs of the year.


The rest of his great releases from this year and collaborations feature on, "Following My Intuition". "Nothing Like This", his track with Blonde is perfection. It is a great blend of old and new school beats. The subtle start perfectly matches the build in the bridge and the big and brash chorus. "No Holding Back" with Hardwell and "When the Bassline Drops" with Big Narstie are also great and follow the trend of the album mixing the old sounds with the new. At no point on the album does it feel forced, the two periods of music blend together seamlessly. "When the Bassline Drops" feels like a continuation of "Rewind", and that is certainly reason to be happy.

This cross between old and new is again celebrated beautifully with "16", an EDM updated remix of "Fill Me In" - I really can't get enough of that track right now. Craig's vocals are fantastic across the whole album and it feels like he is taking back name dropping at the beginning of a track from Jason Derulo.

Other strong tracks include, "Ain't Giving Up", a solid pop song with a very current and fresh sound. It's short, sharp and sensational. "Better With You" is a lovely little ballad with a simple guitar and click track. It has sweet lyrics and smooth vocals. "All We Needed" is stunning, a the piano and strings are beautiful and Craig's voice is restrained and strong - the track has a great build.

"Following My Intuition" is a solid pop album, a welcome return from an extraordinary entertainer. Definitely worth a listen!


No comments:

Post a Comment