Saturday 1 October 2016

Top 6 Singles: September 2016


September was a fantastic month for new music, it was difficult choosing just the best six new singles. And this month is an all female affair - 6 brilliant artists all releasing brand new music that kept me captivated and entertained.

Which of these songs is your favourite? Tell us in the comments below.

Anymore - Melanie C


Words can barely describe how much I love this song. This is my favourite song of the month and will no doubt be in my top 5 songs for 2016. It's also Melanie C's best release, and I know how much of a big call that is, I love "I Turn To You" and "Never Be The Same Again". Melanie's voice is as distinctive as ever, and while she usually likes her pop on the rockier side, this is all dance pop and the result is brilliant. The instrumentation at the end of the chorus is hypnotic and the chorus makes me want to dance. There is such beautiful passion in the delivery and I can't tell you just how many times I have listened to this song since its release. Please check it out, this song deserves to be a hit!

Recovering - Celine Dion


Now this is a truly heartbreaking song. When Celine lost her husband earlier in the year it was clear how devastated she was, their's was a beautiful love story. That makes this song at times hard to listen to, hearing the heartache in her beautiful tones. Co-written by Pink, this is a remarkable song. Celine lays her soul bare with some amazing vocals. The song slowly builds and you just have to listen to it in all its glory. The lyrics are stunning, "Hold me as I fall apart"- we all wish we could. A hard song to listen to, but so worth it. A truly beautiful piece of love.

Bones - Rebecca Ferguson


I adore Rebecca Ferguson, it has always upset me she hasn't had the success she deserves. Her voice is definitely unique, it has such rich soul. So it is perfect that she chose to cover New Zealand singer Gin Wigmore's beautiful song, "Bones". This is a soul track that is all heart. Rebecca sounds as wonderful as always and the music is great. But this song is all about the voice and those lyrics of heartbreak, "It's tough being a woman in love with an unkind man". As the song builds, Rebecca's voice soars to even bigger places and it is truly exceptional. Bring on her new album!

Perfect Illusion - Lady Gaga


This may have been the most eagerly anticipated single of the month, Lady Gaga's return to pop music. And all the trademark Gaga elements are there, a great beat, clever lyrics and her passionate vocals. Yes, the song did take a few listens to truly get into it but once there it is damn bloody hard to get it out of your head! Gaga has a beautiful ability to craft addictive pop music that build so beautifully, the end minute of the song is just remarkable. She is a fascinating pop star and I am bloody pumped for her new album, "Joanne".

Hurts - Emeli Sandi


It has been far too long since we heard some new solo music from the amazingly talented Emeli Sande. What an outstanding debut she had, so there was a lot of pressure on her to follow the success. The good news is that first single, "Hurts" is stunning. A fierce clap track under scores some truly passionate vocals. The verses are deep and dark and then the chorus soars. The lyrics are strong and heartbreaking. This is a special track and makes me very excited for her upcoming album. Now excuse while I listen to it again and break down in tears!

The Greatest - Sia


Just when I think I can't love Sia anymore, she goes and releases this brilliant pop gem. I dare you to name a more fascinating pop star in 2016. There is such character in her voice, her distinctive tones soar on this beautiful tune. The beat is heavy and the production is flawless. Sia takes us so many places in just three and a half minutes, the structure feels unique but so Sia like. Then there's that brilliant film clip, I cried the first time I watched it. Sia, God I love you!

3 comments: