Friday 29 May 2015

40 Songs You Should Remember - The First 20


So I’m about to turn 40, cue the shower scene sound effect from Psycho. And it’s a pretty reflective time. I’ve been compiling a playlist of my favourite all time tracks for my birthday party and it made me think about certain songs that I love, songs that others seem to have forgotten. Sure. I know that some of you will love these tracks as well, but as a whole, they have been left behind. These tracks aren’t on compilation CDs for the “Best of the 80s”, on Music Max’s countdown for the best videos on the 90s or played on classic hits radio stations. These are the ones we have on old 7” vinyl, cassingle or CD single; and like me, you may have had trouble tracking down the digital version.

These are great songs and deserve to be remembered. Some are by huge artists who’s other hits have overshadowed these songs, or by other artists who only had a few songs but were kind of forgotten. Compiling this list gave me a lot of joy. I listened to these songs again and had to smile. I still love them, and they elicit such great memories from my life. By definition these songs need to have some age, so a lot of these come from my high school and Uni days. I still love new music, but wow I love these songs from my past!

I thought about ranking them, but that seemed like an impossible task. So instead it’s an alphabetised list. I’d love to know what you love that everyone else may have forgotten. And what on this list do you love? What did you forget you loved? Tell me in the comments section below.

Now here are the first 20. The rest will follow tomorrow.

1 – Cold Hearted – Paula Abdul


Now I just wrote about this song on my Top 5 Paula Abdul song blog, but it warranted being mentioned again. We all remember “Opposites Attract”, “Straight Up” and “Rush Rush” but forget this incredibly catchy pop number with those great strings. The film clip is awesome, and I love to sing along. Sure, she never had the best voice and probably shouldn’t have judged a singing competition, but she was always an amazing entertainer.

2 – Warning – Adeva


Who? Some of you may say. Have a listen to the clip. Remember now? If not, just listen to that voice. She could sing, and what a funky song. This song reminds me of High School and my friend Vera, we loved this one, even when others didn’t! I still love to listen to this track, especially the mid section when she reaches those high as fuck notes. Plus, she kind of raps. She was one cool woman, shame she never really hit it big. If possible, track down her duet with Monie Love, “Ring My Bell”. Good song!

3 – Tennessee – Arrested Development


Confession time, at Uni I had the choice between buying a vital piece of equipment for my photography class or buy Arrested Development’s debut album. I chose the CD and just borrowed the equipment! Out of their three big hits, it was their debut track, “Tennessee” that I loved most. It was something completely new for me. Old school 70s funk mixed with 90s beats. The combination of rap, singing and spoken word was so very beautiful, and the yearning that this track created is breathtaking. It almost feels like a religious experience. If you don’t know it or remember it, please listen – it is truly an amazing song that deserves to be remembered.

4 – The Message is Love – Arthur Baker featuring Al Green


This is such a simple song, but such a beautiful one! I was always such a big fan of this song and once bought a compilation CD because this song was on it. Al Green is one helluva vocalist and Arthur Baker’s beats are great. This is such a positive song about peace, love and understanding. If you don’t know it, have a listen – it truly is something special.

5 – Take Me To Your Heart – Rick Astley


I have such affection for Rick Astley, in fact, he was my first gay crush! Now we only ever seem to remember Rick for one song, the iconic Rick Rolling “Never Gonna Give You Up”, but he had other great songs too. This track from his second album makes me grin like an idiot. Sure, by this stage every Stock, Aitken & Waterman song sounded exactly the same – this sounds like so many Kylie and Bananarama songs – but it’s a good song. I love the electronic house pop sound, and Rick always had a great voice. Plus the song is fun, so fun, and the film clip matches this joy. So daggy, but I don’t care, at nearly 40 I am happy to embrace the dag!

6 – In Your Room – The Bangles


While most people loved the second single from the “Everything” album, “Eternal Flame”, for me it was all about the first single, “In Your Room”. It was a 60’s inspired pop / rock track with a luscious beat and Susanna Hoff’s trademark beautiful vocals. I just love the incessant beat of this track and the great harmonies from the girls. Reminds me of waiting in the car for my parents while they went into parent teacher night. I played this on my Dad’s car cassette player over and over again. Great song.

7 – Do Me! – Bell Biv Devoe


I love so many songs from Bell Biv Devoe, but this is my favourite. A very dirty little R&B/rap/pop song that showcased the trio’s talents. While they may have been overshadowed by Bobby Brown in New Edition, on their own they proved their prowess. I suddenly remembered all their big hits, “Poison” and “Gangsta”, great songs; but “Do Me!” – so good. Borderline inappropriate lyrics that may have been better suited to R Kelly, but you can’t deny that great beat and luscious vocals. Wasn’t a massive hit in Australia, but they ate it up in the states – and rightly so!

8 – Doin’ the Do – Betty Boo


Remember when Betty Boo came to Australia and made a public appearance doing this song and dropped the microphone but her vocals continued? Wow, she was almost run out of this country. All that controversy didn’t stop this from being a great track. An early pioneer for female rappers, British Betty Boo, had such great attitude and style. I think I could still probably still recite every lyric to this song. Betty Boo, I still love you. I wonder what she’s doing right now?

9 – Every Little Step – Bobby Brown


Okay, so I know I probably shouldn’t include Booby Brown. We do hate him, he introduced Whitney to drugs and was a shit husband. But I can’t help but love his first, and second, albums. I saw him play the Sydney Entertainment Centre on my 15th birthday. And this is his biggest and best hit. We remember his controversy, but we forget he was a fucking awesome R&B/pop singer. This song makes me happy, and makes me want to do the running man. I will continue to feel guilty listening to this track, but I’ll be honest, I’ll still listen … and sing along loudly.

10 – Right on Track – The Breakfast Club


I love that Madonna used to be this band’s drummer, long before this song and long before she was the Queen of the whole fucking world. But this version of the band featured Stephen Bray, who has produced some of Madonna’s biggest hits, including “Express Yourself”. Madonna aside, this is a great song, so very catchy. I love the lyrics, “How far away can you go and still be dancing with me?” This is a fun sound and a very groovy mid 80’s classic that SHOULD be celebrated more!

11 – Wanna Be Up – The Chantoozies


Time to highlight a classic Aussie girl group. They may have reformed recently and are again releasing music, but their best stuff will always be from the 80s. This, their biggest hit, was a great song. A wonderful slice of pop, with some great harmonies and the beautifully raspy tones of Ally Fowler on lead. This is genuinely such a good song, and should be considered an Aussie classic.

12 – I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For – The Chimes


This song was released at a time when it was passé to cover U2. They were so beloved by the British public that when this song was released it flopped. Then Bono came out and said how much he loved the version, even more than the original – suddenly it was atop the UK charts. There is such a beautiful ease to this record, and Pauline Henry’s silky smooth voice is perfection. This is a perfect example of taking a great song and putting your own stamp on it. The funky beat is soothing and the song still makes me smile – such big smiles!

13 – Soul Eater – The Clouds


I loved The Clouds in Year 11 at High School, I was the Editor of our school newspaper and I was so excited I got to organise a phone interview with The Clouds. They were one of the leaders of a new sound for Australian music, an indy rock sound I loved. The driving guitar and thumping drum paired with the great vocals and lyrics make me crazy for this tune. And the spoken word in the middle is my favourite part of this song, “Hello soul eater …”

14 – Private Universe – Crowded House


Crowded House had so many amazing songs, it’s easy to remember “Don’t Dream it’s over” and “Better Be Home Soon” but forget others. Like the “Together Alone” album. It was kind of overlooked, but there are so many beautiful songs on that album. “Private Universe” was my favourite though, a beautifully written song with amazing instrumentation and Neil Finn’s trademark wonderful vocals. Very easily could have slipped “Distant Sun” into this list. Another corker!

15 – I’ll Be Your Shelter – Taylor Dayne


Extra points to Taylor Dayne for being the first compact disc I bought, not first album, just first the CD (had been getting tapes and records before then). Now we remember her from the “Can’t Fight Fate” album for the truly stunning, “Love Will Lead You Back”. But what about this brilliant mid tempo ballad? It was written by song writing God Diane Warren, and is all about those stunning vocals from Taylor – wow she could hold a note. Power ballad is not a bad term, as this song proves!

16 – C’Mon & Get My Love – D’Mob featuring Cathy Dennis


History remembers Cathy Dennis more as a songwriter than an awesome pop artist, after all she wrote the theme to American Idol, Kylie’s “Can’t Get You Out Of My Head” and many more great tracks. But in the late 80’s, early 90’s, she dominated my ghetto box. Loved “Just Another Dream” and “Touch Me (All Night Long)”, but it was this track that introduced me to her great knack for writing pop and her excellent voice. I had the cassingle, and I played it, a lot. It has that pop/funk sound I loved so much. Who am I kidding, I still love it!

17 – My Lovin’ (You’re Never Gonna Get It) – En Vogue


There are barely words to describe how much I love this tune from the amazing ladies of En Vogue. Their vocals are just so good, too good! They harmonise so well, maybe better than any other girl group. Their “Funky Divas” album was filled with so many good songs, but this was the best. While most remember them for their collaboration with Salt ‘n’ Pepa on “Whatta Man”, for me, their signature tune is this one. It is truly perfect, and those runs in the middle – wannabe starlets only wish they could handle these!

18 – Lock It – The Falling Joys


“Gave you a necklace of purple and blue, you took it so gently, I felt see through”. Love those lyrics. Like The Clouds, I was all about The Falling Joys in late high school. Their unique sound was so fresh and so wonderful. This was always my favourite track of theirs, though I really loved “Jennifer” as well. This melancholic track will always remain a song I adore.

19 – On the Way Up – Elisa Fiorillo


This is the epitome of a one hit wonder. Elisa Fiorollo burnt bright for one song, and then she was gone. I think I almost wore this cassingle out, I played it that much in high school. This Prince written track is all kinds of awesome. Funky, poppy, dancey, and such a great track to sing along with. So much attitude in one pop song – I still genuinely get a thrill when I hear it. What a shame she was on the way up … and then stalled.

20 – Big Love – Fleetwood Mac



Fleetwood Mac are such an iconic band with so many well-known hits, “Go Your Own Way”, “Dreams” and “Rhiannon”. Then from “Tango in the Night” there’s “Little Lies” and “Seven Wonders”. The first single from that amazing album is always overlooked. “Big Love”, with Lindsey Buckingham on lead vocals, is such a great track. He sounds great, the ladies of Fleetwood Mac sound beautiful on backing vocals, and the beat is so wonderful. The best part, the grunting, how did they get something that could have been awkward to sound so good? Love this track!

No comments:

Post a Comment