Tuesday 12 May 2015

Top 5 Songs: Whitney Houston


What a tragic figure Whitney Houston was. A beautiful woman with a truly special voice. She had the world in her hands, recognised by many as having the best voice in the world. Then with a marriage to Bobby Brown, drugs became a problem for her. Then just as she tried to get her life back together, she died tragically. Her legacy? Some truly inspiring music.
I have been a Whitney Houston fan for a very long time. Her first album was my first album, a cassette I played over and over again on my red ghetto box! I continued my love, a Whitney poster sat proudly above my bed in early High School. Then when she died, I sobbed, howled. I was a mess. This was the celebrity death that hit me the hardest. While she didn't stay my favourite artist, she was always in the mix. A true Diva with a voice of pure beauty.

I often complain that it's very hard to come up with just five songs every week. This week was almost impossible, so many brilliant songs I had to leave off the list. Here's a list of the songs that almost made the list, "How Will I Know" (brilliant pop), "All the Man I Need" (brilliant vocal showcase), "So Emotional" (an early favourite of mine) and my favourite track from her last album, which was brilliant, "Nothin But Love". There are so many other brilliant songs, too many - she was truly incredible. You are missed Ms Houston!

What are your favourite Whitney Houston songs, tell me in the comments below. But first, here are my top 5 Whitney Houston songs:

5 - My Love is Your Love



This whole album was great but this is the stand out track. Aided by Wyclef Jean, Whitney's sound evolved here. It wasn't just an excellent mid tempo pop song, it also included some very fresh reggae beats. It was such a beautifully hopeful song. It had come off the back of Whitney going through problems, so this song became a perfect metaphor - no matter the odds, her love would shine through. Truly beautiful stuff with Whitney's voice shining though.

4 - I'm Your Baby Tonight



I really had a hard time between choosing this and "All the Man I Need", but this track won out because I just have so many great memories of listening to this song, singing every word and doing all the dance moves from the great clip. This LA Reid and Babyface penned track is so much fun, it's perfect pop. The best bit? When Whitney sings all the lyrics so quickly and wonderfully. Her voice is effortless and brilliant here. So very good!

3 - Saving All My Love For You



This may not have been her first single, but it's the first one everyone knows, and the one that made me stand up and take notice. What a beautiful introduction it was, a slow beat ballad that showcased Whitney's trademark stellar voice. I always forget this is a cover, clearly it surpasses the minor hit of the original. This beautiful stuff that has aged very well!

2 - I Will Always Love You



Speaking of amazing covers, Whitney took a great Dolly Parton song and made it her own in such a spectacular way. "The Bodyguard" soundtrack was a cultural phenomenon and this stunning ballad was at the forefront of the charge. It's such a simple song, as country songs are. Whitney added some beautiful strings to the bare instruments and let her voice soar. The result is one of the best ballads of all time, if not the best.

1 - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)



A true 80s classic, this song makes me smile - it just brings me sheer joy. While Whitney can command a ballad, I love when she lets loose on some pure pop. I was in year 7 when this came out, and it was my everything. I danced around my whole house listening to this, in fact, I danced around the house again just playing it then (my partner is giving me the dirtiest look)! This is perfect as pop gets, an iconic track from an icon!

What's your favourite Whitney Houston song? Tell me in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment