Monday 11 April 2016

Album Review: Super - Pet Shop Boys


I feel like Pet Shop Boys often tell the story of my life, their songs elicit strong memories from moments of my life. They have been with me from a young age, "West End Girls" hit it big in 1985 when I was just ten, and I have loved them since then. So it is great to see the gents are still releasing brilliant music as demonstrated by their new album, "Super".

It is remarkable to think about the amazing songs the lads of Pet Shop Boys have recorded over the years. In High School I was obsessed with "Heart", "It's a Sin" and "Domino Dancing". Uni saw me totally absorbed in "Can You Forgive Her?", "Absolutely Fabulous" and "Yesterday When I Was Mad". I was becoming an openly gay functioning adult to "Before", "New York City Boy", and my heart was breaking to "You Only Tell Me You Love Me When You're Drunk". And even the later songs were testaments to my life, "Home and Dry", "I'm With Stupid" (and wasn't I?), "Love etc" and "Love is a Bourgeois Construct", they all were a part of me.

It seems fitting that again the new Pet Shop Boys work seems to be speaking to who I am right now. Now 40, recently single and learning to let go more, these songs are perfect for where I am. And that is the sign of good music, it allows us to see ourselves in the music and the beat. We believe the artists are speaking to us, or making music just for us. Sorry to make this review so personalised, but I felt the need to share... it's my blog and I'll talk about me if I want to! ;)

So the album, you get the impression already that I love it. And what a great title, years ago they gave us, "Very", cause it was a very Pet Shop Boys album, so I guess this is their super album, and it feels like it. You hear it and you immediately know who it, but a bigger and bolder version. This is such a slickly produced album, Stuart Price is amazing. His bio is incredible and he produced one of Madonna's best albums, "Confessions on a Dancefloor". He just seems to get Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe, and together they create magic.

Tennant's voice doesn't ever seem to change or age, it is one of the best things about a Pet Shop Boys album - his unique, excellent and unwavering vocals. Clever lyrics are there again and the music just makes me want to move. Even though the Pet Shop Boys music has evolved, they still have a distinct sound.

Lead single, "The Pop Kids", is classic PSB. A catchy tune with a good beat, this could describe much of the album. "Burn" is one of my favourites on the album, a great club song that would be great to dance to. "Pazzo!" is quirky and intense with some very deep EDM beats. "Say It To Me" is brilliant electronic pop that would make a brilliant single, and "Undertow" has a solid chorus that is instantly catchy. Opener, "Happiness" is also a stand out, a hopeful track that also has a catchy chorus.

Pet Shop Boys have done it again, produced an album that is magical. I have listened to this a number of times already and look forward to getting to know it more intimately. I hate to use the pun, but here goes, "Super" is super!


Join us on social media to find when out we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:

No comments:

Post a Comment