Thursday 21 April 2016

Top Ten Songs: Prince


It has not been a good year for celebrity deaths, icons have been passing and it is very tragic. So much of my teen years were spent listening to Prince. I know these songs intimately and they elicit so many memories, including seeing Prince play the Sydney Entertainment Centre during his "Diamonds and Pearls" tour. The world is a little less purple today, and that is sad.

Usually this column is a top five, but there were far too many songs, so today, a top ten for a true creative genius. Shame I had to miss out some great tunes, "My Name is Prince", "Peach", "Insatiable", "Little Red Corvette" and "Raspberry Beret" just missed out - great tunes! Tell me in the comments section below which are your favourite Prince songs.

Now Prince didn't allow You Tube film clips, so just the list of songs today.

10 - Sign o' the Times

This track from 1987 was a great one with a bunch of powerful messages, "In France a skinny man died of a big disease with a little name", Prince also took on drugs, gangs, religion and poverty, to just name a few. With a laidback vocal and sparse instrumentation, this was a chance for the words to really shine - shine they did. Prince may have been all about sex, but he also had something important to say. I play this one a lot.

9 - Thieves in the Temple

I have great memories of this 1990 tune, I was in year ten in high school and music was my safety, pop music was my saviour. I used to listen to this song a lot, I had the 7" single and often played it. It is such a solid pop song with Prince's iconic vocals and brilliant guitar playing. Plus that film clip was really sexy, another Prince trademark. This track has such a great flow and I love when his voice becomes impassioned in the bridge and he screams out, "You said you loved me" - great stuff.

8 - Party Man

"Batdance" was a great song, but this is my clear favourite from the "Batman". It such a funky song, the beat is deep and dirty and layered perfectly, so much of the song is about the beat. Once again, Prince gave us a brilliant vocal that is filled with such passion. Then there's the brilliant film clip, whenever this song comes on I have to do my best impression of the woman in the clip with a mask obscuring her face, saying "Partyman". This is one great party anthem.

7 - Purple Rain

There are very few songs as epic as this anthem, and anthem is the word to use. I remember seeing Prince play this live and you couldn't help but be mesmerised. Part pop, part rock, part gospel, all awesome, this track is sublime. I keep using the word passion, but there doesn't seem to be a better word to use. This is such a great late night track, lights down, wine in hand and the guitar riff turned loud - powerful stuff from a music legend.

6 - 1999

This is certainly one of Prince's catchiest tunes. Many see this 1982 song as elevating Prince from being a star to a music superstar. This funky track also features vocal performances from members of his then band, "The Revolution". I adore the opening line, "I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray". I love that this song had a second life in 1999 when everyone was playing it all over again. This has to be one of Prince's strongest choruses, what a damn infectious tune.

5 - Kiss

We often think of Prince oozing sexuality, and few songs get sexier than "Kiss". While people love the Tom Jones cover, it fails to match the sheer sensuality of Prince's powerhouse falsetto vocal delivery. Another chorus that gets stuck in the head and another instrumental performance that is flawless. This song is a pop culture phenomenon, remember that scene in "Pretty Woman"? And even though those lyrics may be a little dated, "You don't have to watch Dynasty to have an attitude", they are still as sexy as hell.

4 - Money Don't Matter 2 Night

This may seem like a strange entry when a lot of people don't know or remember this song, even though it reached number 18 in Australia. This comes from "Diamonds and Pearls", my favourite Prince album. In fact, this song came onto my iPod earlier in the week and I blasted it loudly and sang along very loudly. This beautiful ballad is all about greed and poverty, it has a powerful message that is still as fitting today as it was in 1992, maybe more so today! If you don't know the song, track it down and listen, it is a brilliant one.

3 - When Doves Cry

If people had to name one Prince song, I'm pretty sure this is the song that would be answered the most. A worldwide number one smash, this is pop perfection, That opening guitar riff, those haunting synth sounds and the passionate vocal performance, all culminate to make a classic. The song's lack of bass line sets it apart from other songs of the time and gives it a very unique feel that adds to the magic. And I don't think I trust anyone who hasn't sang along loudly to this song, now join with me and Milhouse, "This is what it sounds like when doves cry".

2 - Gett Off

God I love this song! 15 year old me could not get enough of this song and this is the track that made me go from fan to superfan. It is all sex and it is all glorious. Prince's lower delivery is exquisite and the vocals from Rosie Gaines are refreshing. Plus those lyrics are cheeky and tongue in cheek, and in the hands of someone else may seem crass, but here they are just a revelation, "Now move that big arse round so I can work on that zipper baby". Together with the New Power Generation, Prince created a true classic. Love it, in so many ways.

1 - Love Song (with Madonna)


Even though this wasn't a single, I had to put it as my favourite Prince tune. It was such a big deal when Madonna and Prince teamed up for this tune from my favourite all time album, "Like a Prayer" (Prince also played guitar on "Act of Contrition"). They didn't even go into the studio together, instead sending the song back and forwards to each other to keep adding elements, and the result is perfection. Their pop sensibilities are a perfect match and vocally they sound incredible together. I love when Madonna speaks in another language and Prince answers, "What?". This has such high numbers on my iTunes play count, higher than any other Prince song - so naturally it had to be my number one!

Prince will be sadly missed, he was a pure genius. Remember to tell me your favourite Prince songs in the comments section below.

Join us on social media to find when out we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:



3 comments:

  1. When doves cry, little red corvette and raspberry beret are at the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do I begin???!!!! I adored this man and everything he did. My favorites are take me with you, the beautiful ones, 1999, baby I'm a star, this is not a love song, call my name, partyman. Oh! How I'll miss him.

    ReplyDelete