Saturday 7 February 2015

Classic Album Review: Electric Youth - Debbie Gibson


I've often said that 1989 is my favourite year in music, and here's another reason why, Debbie Gibson's poptastic "Electric Youth", her strongest ever and most successful album. I have very fond memories of sitting in my Dad's car listening to this cassette while my parents were at my school at parent teacher night (I was a good student who needed to spend more time studying, less time talking - story of my life).

The most impressive thing about this album is something I didn't realise until I revisited it this weekend, Debbie Gibson single handedly wrote every track on this album -  not bad for a 19 year old. It's a very 80's sound, which let's face it, is reason to celebrate. The album topped the US charts, went to 8 in the UK and 10 here in my native Australia. In 1989 Debbie Gibson was a true pop phenomenon, even launching her own "Electric Youth" fragrance. This blog recently had a diva off between Rihanna and Beyonce, back then it would have been between Debbie Gibson and Tiffany. Sorry Tiff, I always liked you, but I was and will always be Team Gibson!


So let's talk about the album, having a listen again this morning I could do nothing but smile. Such great memories in all of those great pop sounds. And it's funny hearing the album now, so many of the songs could do well in today's charts - the retro sounds are current again, especially the use of sax, which is very on trend.


First single, "Lost in Your Eyes" is not only my favourite song on the album, but my favourite song ever of Gibson's. This US number one single is a beautiful piano ballad. Gibson's vocals sound flawless, her voice soars and her lyrics are pretty special. "I get weak in a glance, isn't this what's called romance?" - gets me every time. The instrumentation on this song is pretty special. Surprised this hasn't been covered or at least done on American Idol - certainly a standing "o" kind of track. Still listen to this one all the time.


The second single was the brilliant title track, "Electric Youth". This is late 80's pop at its best, you've got to love those classic synth sounds. This anthem for a generation used to get me dancing around my bedroom singing loudly. Not sure why this isn't considered more of a classic, other 80's songs are still massive and this song is so much better. Again Gibson sounds amazing and the lyrics are pretty damn cool, "Don't underestimate the power of a life time ahead". Then there's the epic film clip, it's totally iconic, and you have to love all that denim. Think I need to put this song on my playlist for my 40th birthday party this year.


The other two singles from the album aren't as strong as the leading two singles but are still great. "No More Rhyme" is another great pop ballad from Gibson, she certainly know how to write them, and even more, play and sing them! Fourth single, "We Could Be Together" is pretty great. It's a catchy mid tempo pop song with a great flow and some perfect sing along moments, "If you said jump I'd say how high" - I was singing along with it very loudly this morning. Also, check out the film clip, gotta love that leather jacket!

As for the albums tracks, some solid stuff here, my favourite is the last track on the album, "Shades of the Past", another beautiful ballad. This is a great album from a period in music that will be always be my favourite! Got to love Debbie Gibson.

So what's your favourite track on "Electric Youth"? Tell me in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment