Sunday 22 February 2015

What's the best concert you've been to?


Besides sharing my love of pop music on this blog, I am a playwright and have been working on a new play set in Sydney in 1993. "The Girlie Show" is the story of five people who meet in line for Madonna's first ever concert. I'm almost finished my first draft and it got me thinking about how much I enjoy concerts. I used to go to a lot when I was younger but then they got more expensive and most of my money was going into rent and theatre. But I have made a recent decision that I need to go to see more live music. I am seeing Drake this week and I'm excited, now to see more people.

So what is the best concert you've been to? The list is wide and varied for me. There's a number of gigs I could pick, I'm going to highlight a few later, but first here's a few gigs I've loved:

* Bananarama at the Metro in Sydney. I was front row and got the mic handed to me and I got to sing a line in "Na Na Na (Hey Hey Goodbye)".

* Catching fake "bills" at a very early Destiny's Child gig at the Hordern Pavillion. They were so new they sang "Say My Name" twice.

* Last year I got to see the amazing Sara Bareilles in Melbourne and she won my heart.

* Everything But The Girl at the Metro was so great, again front row - what a brilliant gig.

* The camp greatness of Cher at the Sydney Entertainment Centre.

* Bouncing with the whole crowd to "Since U Been Gone" at the Sydney Entertainment Centre watching the talented Kelly Clarkson.

* The effortless brilliance of the Dixie Chicks at the Sydney Entertainment Centre.

* The many times I have seen Tina Arena belt out her brilliant catalogue.

* Bobby Brown on my 15th birthday at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, "Every Little Step" went off.

* I saw Frente in a small pub in 1993, then saw them again at the Arts Centre in Melbourne last year, plus a solo gig of Angie Hart at the Annandale. I just love to see them play.

There are so many more I could list, but here are my favourite five:

MADONNA - THE GIRLIE SHOW (Sydney Cricket Ground)


What a truly religious experience. The first and only time Madonna came to Australia was in 1993, during the "Erotica" period, and she did not disappoint. The show was a full spectacle, as much theatre as it was a live gig. Madonna looked and sounded great. My favourite song was "Justify My Love", the production number was beautifully choreographed and true art. Oh Madonna, let's hope you make to Australia on your next tour!

KYLIE MINOGUE - RHYTHM OF LOVE TOUR (Sydney Entertainment Centre)


I've seen Kylie perform a number of times over the years, the "Show Girl" tour was pretty amazing but I will list the "Rhythm of Love" because it was my first time seeing her. Kylie wasn't popular with my friends, so one of my brother's female friends took me. We had the best night, we were right up the front and I threw a teddy at Kylie and she caught it. As a high school kid, it was pure heaven for me! "Rhythm of Love" is a brilliant album and the tour matched it.

PRINCE - DIAMONDS AND PEARLS TOUR (Sydney Entertainment Centre)


I arrived at Ticketek at like 5am to line up for Prince tickets. I was late to school and had to see the Vice Principal, others were getting detentions for being late to school - I got asked if I got good tickets. Every seat was good and what a gig. Prince is an entertainer and this is during a brilliant period of his career. "Diamonds and Pearls" is my favourite Prince album and I loved listening to his best hits. The highlight of the gig was his duet with backing singer Rosie Gaines, a cover of a song he penned, "Nothing Compares 2U". It was the right time to see Prince.

JANET JACKSON - THE JANET TOUR (Sydney Entertainment Centre)


Here's another artist who I was so lucky to see in their peak. It was great seeing Janet do her big hits in a massive stage production. The choreography was wonderful and Janet is so likable. Then after the gig we managed to walk outside just as Janet's bus was leaving, we chased her and she waved at my friend - pretty fun.

KASEY CHAMBERS - Both her MUSIC MAX SESSION (Sydney Opera House) and BITTERSWEET ALBUM Launch (Northcote, VIC)


Kasey is my favourite Aussie artist and it's been amazing to see her twice. First was at the Sydney Opera House for a Max Session, a recording for Music Max with her and then partner Shane Nicholson. The highlight was a stripped back rendition of "The Captain" which made me shed a tear - so beautiful. Then last year I went to the "Bittersweet" album launch and loved every second, especially when Kasey performed "Not Pretty Enough" and the crowd all sang along. I thought she was smiling at me and she was. After she performed it, she said, "I love looking out into the audience and seeing people sing, especially big tough blokes. Don't listen to what other people tell you, you are pretty enough." My only answer was to scream, "I love you Kasey". Then she used a pic I took on Instagram. Made my year!


What's the best concert you've been to? Tell me in the comments section below.

2 comments:

  1. Top 5 for me.
    5. INXS - The X-Factor tour. Yes, even before X-Factor was a household name, INXS used it.
    4. KISS - The Monster tour. Should be 1 in my eyes but to be fair, the crowd atmosphere was better at other gigs ive been to.
    3. Bon Jovi - These guys can still rock...even without Ritchie Sambora.
    2 . Roxette - Joyride tour. My favourite pop band from that time, blessed that my wonderful wife is taking me to see them this week. This time i have a better camera to capture the moment.
    1. P!NK. The Truth about Love tour. This chick is amazing. Can sing, acrobat, and swear like a trooper. Costumes were fantastic and for a guy that went with his wife, had an unforgettable evening.

    ReplyDelete