Sunday 28 August 2016

EP Review: Summer Covers - Will Young


Will Young, he of that luscious voice, has returned with an EP of very eclectic covers, and the result is nothing short of beautiful.

Will Young has come a long way since winning Pop Idol, I feel bad even mentioning it all these years later. But it seems fitting here, Will became famous on a show where he had to cover a lot of songs, and it did better than any other. His career has been impressive, both with amazing originals and some stunning covers, so it seems that Will has a special place in his heart for a good cover.

This is a very laidback EP, very smooth and so easy to listen to. I can imagine blaring this as the sun sets on a warm afternoon with a glass of wine in my hand, and with the Australian summer coming soon, that may just happen! This a solid collection of songs that really does give Young a chance to show off his amazing vocal talents. His voice is so distinctive and perfect and always manages to hit that sweet spot.

Track one, The Buzzcocks, "Ever Fallen in Love" is probably the track I know best from this collection. And what a transformation, the high energy song has been given a stirring jazz make over. Will emotes beautifully on the track and it sets the scene perfectly for the rest of the EP. There is a melancholic beauty on display here that makes me both joyful and on the brink of tears.

"Amy", the Ryan Adams track, is also great. It's a pretty faithful cover and continues the smooth feel this EP has. Young always has such a beautiful interpretation of lyrics and lets his heart out through his vocals.

The jazz is really ramped up for the final three tracks, "I'm Only Sleeping", "One World" and "Answer Me, My Love". I must admit, these tracks all make me swoon a little. Young's voice is so beautifully suited to this music and he delivers wonderfully.

While this EP may not be for everyone, for me it is just right. Now pour me a scotch and hand me my smoking jacket, I'm starting the EP again.



No comments:

Post a Comment