Sunday 25 December 2016

Remembering George Michael


So it's only been a short time since the news broke that George Michael died, on Christmas Day. It seems a cruel joke, and I'm still hoping it is. Cause this year we lost some dead set legends. For me personally, the two men that I list as my favourite male vocalists have both passed - Prince and George Michael. My heart is so heavy, but they have to live on through their music and that is what we have to celebrate.

53, it is so young. It is a tragedy, But in those 53 years, George Michael created some of the best pop music of all time. His voice was beautiful and his understanding of pop music was brilliant. Starting with Wham! and right through to his solo career, the albums were solid and the singles were iconic. I've spent many hours playing his music, singing along, getting lost in the beat. He could make you dance, he could make you cry - and today I will do both. You will be missed George.

Today, I wanted to look back at 10 of his great songs, these weren't necessarily his biggest hits - they were just great songs that mean the world to me. I'd love to hear in the comments which of these songs you love, and what songs of his you'll be playing today.

An Easier Affair


Released as part of George's second greatest hits compilation, "Twenty Five", "An Easier Affair" is often overlooked - even though it didn't do too badly on the charts. This confessional tune is perfect, George is reflective and brutally honest, "To think I could be some kind of family man". There's a hopeful quality to the song, this is a man who has been through the wars but came out stronger and happier. He had to learn to be his own man and he was better for it. Listen to it if you don't know the song, it's great.

Amazing


"Amazing" was George's last top ten in Australia, and his last Top Five in the UK. It is a beautiful song and a full on pop love song. Dedicated to his partner, George isn't afraid again to show us his faults. This is such a joyous song, and is so very infectious. These lyrics are so great, "And now I walk in the midday sun, I never thought my saviour would come - I think it's amazing". Today those lyrics brought a tear to my eye.

As (with Mary J Blige)


When you get two of the world's best vocalists together, you just know the end result is going to be brilliant. Covering a fantastic Stevie Wonder tune, both Michael and Blige sound so amazing here. Conjuring an almost church choir feel, this song is very euphoric. The build in the song is incredible. Plus, that film clip is damn awesome. It was blocked for release in the US by Blige's record label, proving that homophobia is always an issue.

A Different Corner


This was a massive hit for George, but it was the song that was released just before this that everyone remembers, the brilliant, "Careless Whisper". But this big ballad is also great. It has a very 80s sound to it and may not be as polished as some of his later work, but the heart in this song is beautiful. There is so much longing in these vocals and when he lets his voice soar it is heartbreaking. George was a master lyricist and it is on full display in this lovely song.

Fast Love


Now this was a massive hit, number one in the UK and Australia and Top Ten in the US, but I had to include it here because it is my favourite George Michael song. This is in fact one of my favourite songs of all time. This song has such a brilliant 90s sound, a beautiful but lazy intensity and some razor sharp vocals. This song meant so much to me, I was in the process of coming out and this became an anthem for me. It may seem strange, a song about casual sex, but it was the time, it was the artist, it was the authenticity. And these lyrics always spoke to me, "In the absence of security, I made my way into the night", and "I do believe we're practicing the same religion". This song is iconic and I will never tire of playing it.

I'm Your Man


I had to include a Wham! song on the list, and putting "Last Christmas" on seemed like a cruel joke. So I chose my second favourite Wham song, the brilliant, "I'm Your Man". Most people will remember Wham! for the iconic "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go", and they should - but there were so many other great songs. Wham handled pop so well, and they had such a great 80s sound. The 80s was known for amazing choruses, and this song has a brilliant one. This is a song designed to play loud and to dance your heart out.

Monkey


The "Faith" album had so many brilliant songs, and so many massive singles. "Faith", "Father Figure" and "I Want Your Sex" defined generations. My favourite song on the album was single number five, the ridiculously catchy, "Monkey". You have to love those 80s synth beats and some really passionate lyrics from George. It sounds like such a fun song but really is all about being in love with someone addicted to drugs. This is a big favourite of mine.

Older


I had to really decide between this and "Spinning the Wheel" from the "Older" album, but chose "Older" because it seemed to fit today. This melancholic song is stuff of beauty. The vocals are inspirational and the lyrics are pure poetry, "You'll be fine, maybe you won't. You're out of time, I'm letting go. I'm not the man you want". Sigh.

Praying For Time


"Freedom 90" is the song that is remembered most from the album, "Listen Without Prejudice", but "Praying for Time" was the album's first single. George always cared for the world and knew as a celebrity it was the perfect platform to share his views. This is a passionate tune about injustice that really makes you think, "Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of". The song is quite simple, but this makes it even more effective, it is powerful stuff.

Waiting For That Day


"Fast Love" is my favourite George Michael song, "Waiting for That Day" is my second favourite. Strangely this song didn't chart well, but people have been known to be wrong before - because this song is pure quality. The trippy beat works perfectly with the great vocals and powerful lyrics. There is a beautiful ease to this song, it feels honest and confessional, "My memory serves me far too well", and "Half of these wounds are self inflicted". Wow the man could write and spoke his heart perfectly.

I loved going back on this little journey, loved listening to these songs again this morning. But is has also made my heart ache a little more. You will be missed George Michael, you were a true icon! And I worry we are running out of real icons ....

No comments:

Post a Comment