Tuesday 18 November 2014

Album Review: Four - One Direction


Album review time. Or as I could call it, my secret shame. But I guess I have outed myself. My name is Wayne Tunks and I am a One Direction fan. I loved their first album, "What Makes You Beautiful" is as good as pop gets. The second album was okay, and I felt my devotion dropping. Then came the third album, the boys were losing the boyband tag and making some great guitar pop. "Story of My Life" was one of my favourite songs of last year. So I was cautiously optimistic about this album.

Firstly, this is a good album. These are all solid tracks, there are no weak ones here. And with the boys having a hand in writing most of the songs, they are becoming stronger and stronger. But in all honesty, if comparing this to "Midnight Memories", it's not as strong. There's no standout tracks like "Story of My Life" or "Strong", but still, this is a good album that I know will grow with more listens.

The lead single and first track, "Steal My Girl" fits into that category. One Direction (I feel I'm a bit old to call them 1D) have had stronger first singles, "Best Song Ever" or "What Makes You Beautiful" but this one is a grower. Sure, the lyrics are a little stalkery, "Find another one cause she belongs to me", but this song can stuck in your head. Earlier this week I literally had a dream where I sat and listened to this song. First time ever, it was like One Direction had taken out ad space in my psyche.

Second single "Night Changes" is another grower. A mid tempo ballad, within the second listen I was already convinced I liked this track. I'm actually surprised the Ed Sheeran penned "18" wasn't made the second single, especially with the success of "Little Things", the last Sheeran song they released. It has hit written all over it, sounding like a cross between Sheeran and Backstreet Boys in their prime. "Ready to Run" is reminiscent of the last album with a great guitar based beat. "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" is guitar driven pop/rock that is made for singing along. "Fireproof" is a catchy pop track, while "Once in a Lifetime" is the best of the bonus tracks.

If you're a pop music fan, check out this album. If rumours are true, there seems to be a little trouble with the boys getting along. Let's hope they can keep recording music together, because they are becoming quite the fascinating five piece.

Check out the hilarious "Steal My Girl" featuring the always funny Danny DeVito.


This is where I would usually talk about my favourite One Direction song, but I've already mentioned that, "Story of My Life", so just watch the clip. It is a bloody good song!


What's your favourite One Direction track?

No comments:

Post a Comment