Friday 14 November 2014

Album Review - The London Sessions: Mary J Blige


I always forget how much I love Mary J Blige until I hear some of her new music, and then, bam, I'm back in love with her all over again. A friend had told me how good this album was, and I knew I needed to try it out for myself. And I was not disappointed. Mary J Blige is back, bigger and better than she has been in years.

Recorded in London, as the title suggests, Blige has collaborated with some of the most current British producers and singers, including Disclosure, Naughty Boy, Emeli Sande and the wonderful Sam Smith (who I may just have a little crush on). While she has stayed true to her R&B roots, it's been fused with current sounds, Then there's her incredibly distinctive voice, which sores here.

Let's talk about the tracks. The good news is there are no bad songs, no fill. Each song stands on its own, and maybe that's the good thing about working with so many different people, you get a lot of gold. But of course, there's some great stand outs. The first single, and the album's opener is the Sam Smith co-penned, "Therapy". This is an Amy Winehouse inspired corker. "Doubt", a song of redemption, made me want to throw my arms in the air. "Not Loving You" is a classic Blige ballad that sounds absolutely glorious. Disclosure produced "Right Now" feels very commercial (that's a compliment from me). It has a great beat, and I was singing along within the first listen.

The stand out track is the second single, "Whole Damn Year". It's co-written by the very cool Emeli Sande and is produced by Naughty Boy, who's tracks I have been loving. What a great song, the beat is sensational, Blige's voice is exquisite and then there's some bloody awesome lyrics. When Blige belts out, "It's been a bad five years", you feel like she is singing your pain. Why isn't this song a hit yet?

If I had to pick a weak link, it'd probably be the Disclosure produced, "Follow". It's a not a bad song, but it feels a little more suited to a Disclosure album and not a Mary J Blige record.

There's so much hurt in her voice, she's at her best when she's hurting in song; and there's so much on offer here. This is a great album that I know I will be revisiting a lot. Mary J Blige has never been that big in Australia, which is a true shame. But trust me friends, now is the time to get into her. She has talent, a massive heart and one of the biggest voices in the business.

After I write about a new release from a well known artist, I think it's the perfect time to look back at some of their other classics. So what is my favourite Mary J Blige song? That's a tough one, this woman has had some anthems.

There's "Family Affair", which reminds me of a great time in my life. "I'm Goin' Down", with brilliantly sublime vocals or the song that my Mum loves and always reminds me of her, "Give Me You". But the one I have to choose is "911", her duet with Wyclef Jean. When this song came out, I was obsessed with it. Her verse is like heaven. This was the song that made me fall in love with her voice, and for that reason will remain my favourite Mary J Blige song. Give it a listen if you haven't heard it.

What's your favourite Mary J Blige song? Tell me in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment