Wednesday 26 November 2014

ARIA Awards - My 2 cents


It was a big year for the ARIA awards. There were three artists achieving massive success worldwide, One Direction and Katy Perry were in the building and the broadcast was back in prime time on Channel 10.

Let's talk about the production first. While it was pretty slick and the time passed quickly, I had serious concerns over much of the broadcast. The camera work was shocking, as was the direction. It felt like they decided they needed fast paced shot cutting to keep it fresh, it just seemed jarring. Plus, there were plenty of quick shots of nothing. Not good. Also not sure who's decision it was to play international artists during the ad breaks. I love some Ariana Grande and Beyonce, but this was supposed to be a celebration of Australian music. There's been worse broadcasts of the ARIA's over the years, but that shouldn't be the best thing I say.


Now let's talk about the awards and the music. It was pretty predictable fair, the only award that surprised me was that Sheppard beat 5 Seconds of Summer for best group. But all the favourites seemed to share the major awards. I was super pumped for Kasey Chambers to win country artist of the year and for Sia to win album of the year. It's a great album, and she deserved it - even if she is giving them all away today!

For many years I have hated that the ARIA's mostly snub pop artists. Kylie took years before she was winning ARIA's, even when she was a major international celebrity. It seemed if you were pop, you were snubbed for an indy artist who barely sells but was the darling of Triple J. So it's great to see pop diva Jessica Mauboy nominated most years for best female artist. And while Guy Sebastian will never win a best male artist ARIA, it was great to see him nominated. It's time that opinion is changed, just because music is pop or mainstream, it doesn't mean it's no good. Pop is popular for a reason - so back the fuck off haters!!!!


So how about the performances? There wasn't a bad one in the bunch. Poor Justice Crew, relegated to the red carpet. What that said was, "You've had a number 1 hit but we don't think you're cool enough to sit at the cool table." (See the above paragraph). 5 Seconds of Summer opening performance was great. The boys sounded great and it was a perfect opener. I also loved Jessica Mauboy's "Can I Get a Moment?", obviously. What a great pop performance, she sounded faultless and it was good to see a great production number, even if the staging of the event was average. As a music fan, how could you not enjoy Neil Finn and Paul Kelly's medley? Two powerhouses with a beautiful performance.


The most divisive performance of the night was that from One Direction. Yes, they are a massive act and won an award but should they really have performed on the night celebrating Australian music? And the performance was a little lacklustre, but still, I bloody well loved it! And I feel a little ashamed for loving it so much.


It was an okay ARIA's, I've seen better. In fact, I went to better. Back in 1993 I was a first year Uni student who went to the ARIA's at the Sydney Entertainment Centre. It was a massive night and I had amazing fun screaming for stars at the red carpet. I was a massive Frente! fan and was screaming every time they were mentioned during the ceremony. There's a was girl screaming for Diesel, and she was the only person louder than me in the whole Entertainment Centre, damn that girl, I wanted to be loudest.


So what did you think of last night's ARIA awards? Tell me in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment