Tuesday 18 November 2014

Single of the Week: I Don't Care - Cheryl


Sometimes pop songs just make you smile, and Cheryl's new cracker, "I Don't Care", does just that. This is the second single from her fourth album, and her fifth solo number one in the UK. Her tenth if you include her tracks with girl band, Girls Aloud. While she's never been a massive star in Australia, "3 Words" hit number 5 - the rest of her tracks haven't broken the Top 40; I've been a fan for a while.

I may be turning 40 next year, but happy pop songs with swear words still make me happy. And what a great a bunch of lyrics start the catchy chorus, "And I don't care, and it feels so fucken good to say I swear, that I don't care". I challenge anyone to listen to the song a few times and not be singing along.

But to just concentrate on the swear words would cheapen how good this track is. It's a breezy dance / pop song that seems effortless. Cheryl's vocals sound faultless and the beat is a corker, designed to make you dance along. Lyrically it's a fuck you to former lovers, and possibly critics. It's about making it out the other end and being able to breathe again. And can't we all relate to that? A song of redemption to sing loudly in your car.


This has quickly become one of my favourite Cheryl tracks. But looking back, if I had to pick my favourite it's very clear. I love her big hit with Will.I.Am "3 Words", infact that whole album was on high rotation for me. "Promise This" is a great track, especially if you've ever heard the Adele cover (you need to track it down) and her last single, "Crazy, Stupid Love" is also a great pop song. But my all time favourite is undoubtedly, "Call My Name" from her third album. Love the catchy chorus, the uncompromising beat and it's ability to be stuck in my heads for days. Check out the track below.

What's your favourite Cheryl song?

No comments:

Post a Comment