Friday 28 November 2014

Classic Album Review: Rhythm Nation 1814 - Janet Jackson


Another classic album from my childhood, and you don't get more classic than this! Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation 1812" holds the record for having the most US Top Five singles from one album, an amazing seven. When she achieved this, she beat her brother's record, six top 5 hits from the "Thriller" album. This great album turned 25 this year, another amazing album from my favourite year in music, 1989. So long ago, but such an amazing year for music.


This is a great album, and it's obvious why it's called a classic. A dance pop album with an R&B edge and social message. After Janet hit big with her third album, "Control", her record company wanted more of the same but this time with pop songs about her family. They wanted to call the album, "Scandal". Wisely Janet said "no thanks". She had something important to say. Janet had been affected by a school shooting at the time and wanted a message about stamping out hatred, violence and inequality. Isn't it sad that 25 years later, we still have the same problems?


The album is filled with great singles. Single number 1, "Miss You Much" is probably my favourite. An awesome pop song with a great hook and beat. I bought the 7" single as a kid. I also remember doing a dance to this in our lunch break to the amazing choreography. "Rhythm Nation" is another corker. With a more industrial hip-hop sound, the fast paced lyrics are socially conscious and show the great sides of Jackson.

Third single "Escapade" was just that, a great escape with a catchy dance pop song. "Alright", not a hit in Australia, is some serious R&B infused pop. "Black Cat" saw Janet have her biggest hit from the album in Australia. A rockier song, this is the most Michael like song on the album. "Come Back To Me" is a great ballad that demonstrates the powerhouse voice Janet has. The seventh single "Love Will Never Do (Without You)" put Janet in the ballpark of Michael and Madonna. A classic mid tempo pop ballad with an iconic film clip directed by the amazing Herb Ritts. Watch it below, it's pure art!


It really does feel like the whole album is taken up by the awesome singles, but there's some other great songs. "State of the World" was a radio only release that is "Rhythm Nation" light. "The Knowledge" is another great socially aware pop song. What I also love about this album are the interlude's between. Some warm and funny, some completely socially conscious. The album finishes perfectly with Janet stating, "In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us. Don't let your eyes deceive you." A true classic album!


It's funny, my boyfriend, who's only 26, once asked if Janet was ever really famous. I know he keeps saying it now to stir me, but it's an interesting point. I guess Janet hasn't retained the level of success many mega stars of the 80's and 90's did. She hasn't continued to remain a cultural phenomenon like Madonna, Kylie or U2. But that will never take away the amazing success she once had. She was, and will always remain one of my favourite artists of all time. Here is where I always ask my favourite song of the artists featured. Sometimes I struggle with an answer, not this time. Not because I don't love her other tracks, I do. It could easily be "Miss You Much", "What Have You Done For Me Lately?" or "The Best Things In Life (Are Free). But there's one song which I would definitely list in my top ten tracks of all time. "That's The Way Love Goes" is the perfect track. I could not love it more! And check out earlier JLo in the film clip. This is the way to make pop music!

So what's your favourite Janet Jackson song? Tell me in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment