Saturday 5 September 2015

20 Should've Been Hits


There are songs we all love that we say to ourselves, “How the hell didn’t that become a hit? Seriously, it’s a good song!” That’s what this list is about. Songs I have always loved, but I may be alone in my adoration of these great tracks. Some were minor hits, but none of these brilliant songs were massive hits.

So have a read of my list, let me know in the comments if there’s any of these tracks you love. Or tell me the songs you think should have been hits but weren’t.

Your Body – Christina Aguilera


Admittedly this song did chart around the world, but it could never be considered a hit, which is a shame. A shame because this is one of Xtina’s strongest tracks. She has a knack of combining pure sexiness with good, solid pop beats. This is a brilliant track with a hard beat and some brilliant vocals. I find the track so alluring, and by the time she belts out, “You already know my name”, I am in true pop heaven. While I would never begrudge other pop diva’s success, I often listen to some and think, “How are you having a hit with this and Christina struggles with good songs?”

Indestructable – Alisha’s Attic


Alisha’s Attic burst on the scene in 1996 with a few great hits, “I Am, I Feel” and “Alisha Rules the World”. This duo had a cute and quirky style that I loved immediately. But it was there was their third single that made me fall in love with them totally. “Indestructable” is a brilliant tune, a mid tempo pop track with some inspiring lyrics and some truly beautiful harmonising. There is an airy feel to this song that I adore, the track makes me smile.

Every Shade of Blue – Bananarama


When Bananarama became a two piece they were often overlooked but they still always had amazing tracks. “Move in my Direction” was a hit, but this great dance / pop tune was mostly overlooked. Keren and Sarah have always sounded amazing together and they always an amazing attitude in their songs. I love British pop music, and they are so very British. The chorus is catchy, and the hook is brilliant, great song!

Triumphant – Mariah Carey featuring Rick Ross & Meek Mills)


Mariah is an icon and I hate that her new music no longer gets the attention it used to. “Triumphant” is exactly what the title suggests, a triumphant hip-hop / pop song about overcoming adversity. Mariah has said the song was written when her then husband was in hospital and she was still upset over the death of Whitney. This song seemed to get little attention and it’s a great tune, the music is great and Mariah sounds awesome on that hook!

Bittersweet – Kasey Chambers & Bernard Fanning


Earlier in her career Kasey was the rare exception in the country scene, her singles would chart in the mainstream chart. She’s had many Top Ten hits, “Not Pretty Enough” hit number one. Kasey still has hit albums, but the singles aren’t charting, and that’s a shame – cause her singles are still awesome. Her duet from last year with Bernard Fanning is a stunning ballad that I put in my Top Ten singles of last year! The pair sound incredible together, they emote beautifully together in a song that has so much longing! Breaks my heart so beautifully.

Heart – Neneh Cherry


This was a track I fell in love with at High School. Loved her earlier work from the “Raw Like Sushi” album, but it was this track that I loved the most, I even bought the 7” record. Neneh as a whole is criminally underrated. Her voice is stunning and the attitude in her delivery is fierce and fabulous. She was using a combo of rap and singing before Nicki Minaj took the style as her own. This is a catchy tune about getting back at some bitch who stole her man. Just listen to the chorus a few times and I dare you not to get it stuck in your head.

Try – Nelly Furtado


I have written about my love of this song before, it was in my birthday countdown of my Top 40 songs of all time. Before Nelly went all hip-hop she had a beautiful folk/pop style I adored. This track was bizarrely not a hit, the ballad is stunning with Furtado’s voice emoting so wonderfully. There is some genuinely wonderful angst in this track, when she belts out, “We are in love“ at the end my heart both breaks and soars. Beautiful.

Can’t Stop Dancing – Becky G


Becky G hit it big with “Shower”, it was massive here in Australia and made my Top 50 songs of last year, but the follow up got no attention at all. What’s up with that people? “Can’t Stop Dancing” is just as addictive. It’s a poptastic tune with great production and an addictive beat. Becky has such a great tone to her voice and this song is so much fun. In fact, this song makes me smile and dance and for that I will always love it!

Say What I Mean – Simone Hardy


I went to school with Simone Hardy at good ole Doonside High, she was several years above me in my brother’s year. She was always a talented singer and I was genuinely excited when I heard she had an album coming out, even more excited when I heard it. The whole album is amazing, but the first single was the best. I only heard this sporadically on radio and it never got the attention it deserved. It’s beautiful acoustic pop with a singer who knows how to sing. All these years later I still love to hear this song and always get a little sad not many people have heard this truly amazing tune!

I Look To You – Whitney Houston


This song breaks my heart. I always loved its beauty when it was first released, but in hindsight it is stunningly tragic. Whitney could always command a ballad and this is a fine example. A beautiful song about coming out the other side from hardship. She didn’t quite make it, but she will always be remembered through her wonderful music. Even though her range wasn’t as strong later in her career, she still sounds simply stunning!

Where You At – Jennifer Hudson


Jennifer Hudson is an artist in general who should have had a lot more hits! This is probably my second favourite song of hers, right behind the brilliant “Spotlight”. Her voice is a true gift, the effortlessness with which she reaches those notes is amazing. Lyrically I love this, she has so much attitude. My favourite line, “Thought you were my hero, but as it turns out, you’re a no show”. Great stuff!

Want – Natalie Imbruglia


Natalie Imbruglia had such a massive hit with her first song, “Torn”, it was always going to be hard to keep up with that momentum, but come on general public, she has released awesome music since then. “Want” is one of my favourite Natalie songs. It has stunning production, the violins, the constant beat and the beautiful harmonies. Then there’s her great voice and the lyrics are awesome, “I hope that you get all that you want, cause I didn’t”. Take that! This is a good song, trust me, check it out!

Cold – Annie Lennox


Sometimes a song is so special that it speaks to you, this is one of those songs. The fourth single from the sublime “Diva” album, this stunning ballad is a true showcase for Lennox’s angelic voice. Musically it’s quite simple, but really it’s about that voice and some very impressive lyrics, “Dying is easy, it’s living that scares me to death”. Amen! Trivia fact time, this was the first UK single to only be released on CD single and not on vinyl. Should have been a bigger hit!

Trouble – Leona Lewis featuring Childish Gambino


I feel bad for Leona Lewis. She started big, “Bleeding Love” was massive and then she has failed to have a hit anywhere near as big. This was a minor hit in the UK, and nowhere else. This is such a beautifully dramatic track which allows Lewis’s impeccable voice to shine. The lyrics and the instrumentation have a dark edge, the beat is infectious and there’s a great verse from Childish Gambino. Plus, there’s a great film clip starring the VERY handsome Colton Haynes. This should have been massive.

Ghosttown – Madonna


As Diplo said recently, if this was released from anyone else, it would have been number one. Madonna’s second single from her most recent album, “Rebel Heart”, should have been a massive hit. Sure, it went Top Ten in a few small countries, but wasn’t a hit in the US, UK or here in my native Australia. It is a stunning ballad with brilliant structure, instrumentation and production and Madonna sounds wonderful. Many have compared her vocals here to Karen Carpenter, Karen fucking Carpenter; and yet people didn’t buy it. Radio shunned it, so did music video stations – and the video is a classic. I could write about this all day. Ageism exists, here is exhibit A your honour.

Free – Wendy Matthews


Wendy Matthews is an artist I’ve always loved, she has such an incredible soulful voice and delivers powerhouse performances on amazing tracks. Earlier in her career she had mammoth hits, but her later work didn’t get as much attention, which is a shame because that work still rocked. A perfect example is the track, “Free”. This is beautifully euphoric, a song about moving on after a break up, or should I say, moving up after a break up. Inspiring stuff.
(Apologises for that live clip, it was all I could find on YouTube)

Just Hold Me – Maria Mena


There are only small pockets of the world that know about the brilliance and beauty of a Maria Mena. An ex introduced me to this stunning ballad and I have loved it ever since. It’s a simple acoustic ballad that shoots straight for the heart, the passion when she sings, “Why can’t you just hold me?” is heartbreakingly sublime. I often listen to this when heartbroken, makes me cry but helps gets those tears out. Check it out, but only if you’re feeling okay!

Right Here, Right Now – Giorgio Moroder featuring Kylie Minogue


Like “Ghosttown”, here’s another song from this year that should have been a hit. I am a Kylie fan, but seriously, this is a better track than anything from her last album – where were all the fans? Giorgio Moroder gets disco and dance and his beats are so amazing. This track is smooth and delicious, the beat is incredible. The vocals from Kylie are brilliant, she pushes her top register and the results are some of her best vocals. This will be in my Top Twenty songs for the year, shame I may be alone!

When I Hated Him – Bijou Phillips


Bijou Phillips, the daughter of John Phillips from the Mama’s and Papa’s and half-sister of Chynna Phillips of Wilson Phillips, Bijou is more known as a model and actress but she did have one album. Its first single, “When I Hated Him” was stunning. Many believed it was written about her father. There are so many emotions  in this song, the lyrics are heartbreaking and her voice is beautiful. If you don’t know this song, check it out!

This Time – Pia Toscano


Poor Pia Toscano, she should be a massive star but is relatively unknown. On her season of American Idol she should have won but went out way too early and the judges couldn’t use a save cause they had wasted it on an undeserving contestant. I was so angry when she was eliminated. Then she released this corker of a track. Dramatic, addictive and brilliant, with no airplay and it wasn’t a hit. You may not have heard it, pop fans, I suggest you listen. Her voice is exquisite and the track is catchy as hell. This is pure pop slice of heaven.


Remember to tell me in the comments section below if you love any of these songs, or the songs you love that should have been hits!

1 comment: