Tuesday 1 September 2015

Top 5 Songs: The Eurythmics


I don't trust people who don't like at least one song from The Eurythmics. They have had so many iconic and wonderful pop songs, how could you not like at one? This list is more than just liking one, this week we celebrate the brilliance that is The Eurythmics with our Top 5 songs list!

Annie Lennox and David A Stewart are the stuff of legends. While Annie has had some amazing solo songs, "Little Bird" anyone; but it is with Dave that she really fired. Over many years the pair redefined the pop/rock genre with some amazing tunes and some classic clips. Listening to their Greatest Hits album is a true treat, classic after classic. And that voice, wow!

Over the years The Eurythmics have produced so many good songs, whittling it down to just five was a hard job, but, that's what I do every week. So here's the usual list of great songs that missed out (and these are usually the ones that people tell me are their favourites). So apologises to "Sweet Dreams", "Sisters are doing it for themselves", "Sexcrime (1984)", "There Must Be an Angel" and "Here Comes the Rain Again", all great and classic tunes, but just missed out. And special mention to "The Kind and Queen of America", love this tune and was probably number six - that film clip is epic.

So here's my list of Top 5 The Eurythmics songs. What's yours? Tell me in the comments section below.

5 - Would I Lie To You?



This song always reminds me of my mother because she has always loved this track. And clearly so did everyone in Australia as it was the only place in the world that put this song to number one. There is so much attitude to this song and you can feel the passion. Annie sounds amazing, and the addition of the backing singers is inspiring. This is a perfect example of 1980's pop.

4 - It's Alright (Baby's Coming Back)



Sometimes there are songs you like more in hindsight. I liked "It's Alright (Baby's Coming Back)" when it first came out, but over the years I have started liking the song more and more until I now LOVE this track. The sound of those synths over the mid tempo ballad is perfect and Annie sounds so impassioned as she sings. I often get this song stuck in my head, in fact, it's there again right now!

3 - Missionary Man




The harmonica, the robotic vocal delivery, the attitude of the lyrics. All these things add together to make a brilliant tune that I seriously love. Even though this song is decades old, I listen to it all the time. And what a film clip. I don't know what, "You can fool with your brother, but don't mess with the missionary man" means, but I love it!

2 - Don't Ask My Why


What an absolutely beautiful ballad this song is. While it may not be one of their most famous tunes, I love it with every part of my soul. Not many people emote as well as Annie does and when she sings, "I don't love you anymore, I don't think I ever did", my heart breaks. I've often said 1989 is my favourite year in music, and this again proves that point with its melancholic richness.

1 - Beethoven (I Love To Listen To)


This may be completely controversial to put this song at number one, but I love this song SOOO very much. It is so melodramatic, left of centre and it is totally batshit brilliant. This essentially a spoken word song with some singing in the chorus. The brilliant film clip shows us a woman who wants a lot more than she has, and I adore the lyrics, "I was dreaming like a Texan girl". And let's not forget the great instrumentation on this track from Dave. This song makes me smile!

Time to tell us your favourite Eurythmics songs in the comments section below!
And please join in the conversation at Facebook by joining our page:
https://www.facebook.com/InternalJukeboxShow

3 comments:

  1. Instant respect for putting Beethoven at number one. It's many a cult favorite & that video is ground breaking. Missionary Man is where it all started for me & I think that song still sounds like it could've been released yesterday. I'm also a huge fan of Don't ask me why & all your other choices. I think, for me, Love is a Stranger would have to make an appearance also. My one gripe (if I may be so bold) - not "the eurythmics"... Just "eurythmics"!! 😉

    ReplyDelete