Tuesday 8 September 2015

Top 5 Songs: Bananarama


I love the ladies of Bananarama, their music has given me years and years of pleasure. All the way through line up changes and the decades they have continued to make pop music that is just so amazingly addictive. I'm pretty excited to compile this week's Top 5 list for the ever fabulous, Bananarama.

I saw Bananarama perform as a two piece years ago at the Metro Theatre in Sydney, they were amazing. I was in the front row and was lucky enough to have the microphone handed to me by Keren and got to sing a line in "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye", it was an amazing experience for me!

There have been so many classic Bananarama songs over the years, so many songs. In fact they are in the Guinness Book of World Records as the all-female group with the most chart entries worldwide. Take that Destiny's Child and Spice Girls. With their awesome unison style delivery, the ladies were always a force to be reckoned with.

So as always it was hard choosing just five songs for the countdown, I had to leave some awesome tracks out of the list. Songs like "Every Shade of Blue", "Only Your Love", "Nathan Jones" and "Robert DeNiro's Waiting" all are favourites of mine. Plus there's anything from the Australian number one album, "Wow", what a great album. Love "I Want You Back", "I Can't Help It" and if there was a number six on this list it would be "Love in the First Degree".

So what did make the list? Time to have a look at my Bananarama Top 5 songs. And remember to tell me what your favourite Bananarama songs are in the comments section below:

5 - Move in my Direction



In 2005, "Move in my Direction" was Bananarama's first Top 40 UK hit for 12 years, and was a bloody good hit at that! This is such a good tune, I remember going very crazy for it. Love the strings with the great pop beat, and those lyrics are awesome, "It's been seven days since my last confession". Love a good pop metaphor and this song is filled with them. This is as catchy as hell and a very fun tune.

4 - Love, Truth & Honesty



The only song on the list that featured Jacqui. This tune was released as the first single from their great greatest hits album. Another wonderfully produced and penned tune from Stock, Aitken and Waterman, "Love, Truth & Honesty" has a beautiful pop sophistication. I love that when they sing the word, "Betrayed", it seems to just hang in the air. Great tune!

3 - Cruel Summer



The only early Bananarama entry in the list, and it really is the best of the early years. this song became famous because of its use in the first "Karate Kid" film. Written by the girls themselves, this adds a dark edge to the traditional summer anthem. The beat is great and those lyrics are sensational, it's the kind of song that gets stuck in your head and stays there for a long time!

2 - I Heard a Rumour



I adore Stock, Aitken & Waterman, and this is one of their best tracks. "I Heard a Rumour" is filled with such life, a busy track that sucks you in. The whole "Wow" album is the stuff of legend, and its first single was its highlight. I listen to this song and I literally smile every time, even though the song is about a broken down relationship. The girls sound good and the clip is a feast for the eyes. Love it in every way possible.

1 - Venus



It is so rare that a cover is better than the original, Bananarama's cover of Shocking Blue's "Venus" is unequivocally superior to the original. The ladies were met with resistance when they wanted to cover the tune, even when they teamed up with Stock, Aitken and Waterman, but they insisted and the tune took them to number one in seven countries, including the US. The girls know their pop and this tune is pop at its best. This song is infectious and makes you want to dance, it inspires joy. An absolute classic!

What is your favourite Bananarama track? Tell me in the comments section below.

Join us on social media to find when we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:
https://www.facebook.com/InternalJukeboxShow
https://twitter.com/InternJukebox

No comments:

Post a Comment