Wednesday 9 September 2015

EP Review: WILD - Troye Sivan


Troye Sivan is artist to watch. Beginning his career on YouTube, he has risen above the rest of his peers to become an incredible artist with a massive future. His new EP, WILD, is quite simply stunning.

I didn't know a lot about Troye Sivan until recently, I was probably the wrong age demographic. His Australian Top Ten single, "Happy Little Pill", was one that crept up on me. I liked the song, and before I knew it I was suddenly playing it on repeat and I was addicted. Then with the release of Zedd's album this year, my instant favourite was Troye's "Papercut". That song is brilliant, so very brilliant. So I bought this EP with quite a lot of excitement and I was not disappointed.

All six tracks on this EP are amazing, so very beautiful. Sivan is an incredible songwriter, as a lyricist, he is a true wordsmith. There is a sublime beauty to these tracks, a simplicity that is engrossing. And I use the simplicity as a big compliment. So many songs are so over produced, too slick. The simpleness of these tracks is wonderful and fresh. There's a 90's feel to this electro pop, giving me the feeling of the best tracks by Massive Attack and Everything But The Girl.

The opening track and first single, "WILD" is brilliant. The bridge is great and the chorus is sensational. On this wonderfully written track, Sivan has such a sweet tone. This song deserves to be a massive hit. I know I'll have it on high rotation for the next few months.

"BITE" has great beats and is beautifully haunting. Love the lyrics, "Kiss me on the mouth and set me free". It's certainly a voice to fall in love with! On "FOOLS", the music is perfect and the chorus is great, eliciting such passion. "EASE", featuring The Broods, is a little lighter than the other tracks and has a beautiful tone. Love "THE QUIET", it's probably my second favourite song on the EP. This stark song is very intelligent with another great chorus, "Anything hurts less than the quiet", is perfect. Final track, "DKLA", featuring Tkay Maidza, is another great tune. Love the rap here mixing with a wondrous electro tune.

This is an EP to get excited about, and also to get excited about the stunning clip for "WILD". The first part of a trilogy called, "Blue Neighbourhood", the "WILD" clip sees two boys growing up and really falling in love while one's Dad battles alcoholism. It is beautiful, I had a tear in my eye, and the final few seconds, wow - brilliant! Check it out below.

Get the "WILD" EP now, no hesitation, it is brilliant!


Join us on social media to find when we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:

No comments:

Post a Comment