Tuesday 2 December 2014

Album Review: Brutal Romantic - Brooke Fraser


Sometimes album really surprise you. I've been a big fan of Kiwi Brooke Fraser since I heard the single, "Lifeline" from her debut album, "What To Do With Daylight". I continued loving her music with the next two albums, "Albertine" and "Flags". I thought I knew her music, acoustic piano and guitar driven pop songs that were always catchy. That's the Brooke Fraser I know and love.

Four years after her last album, she returns with something very new and different. Gone are the acoustic instruments, instead replaced by an electronic sound and lazy dance beats that sounds more Lorde than Fraser. And you know what? I love it. This is her most consistent album to date. I've been raving about all the albums I've reviewed lately and was ready to not do that with this one, and then I heard it. Another to add to the list of great albums I've been hearing lately.


The album opens with the stripped back haunting vocals, "I love your protection but I don't love you". Instantly I was hooked. The opening track, "Pyschosocial" was released as a teaser, but I hadn't heard it yet. Now I wish I had, cause it is the standout track of the album. This dark track beautifully combines a dance beat and a kick arse choir.

First official single, "Kings and Queens" is a little more pop, but still with a great thumping beat. It's a perfect first single, a cross between the old and new Brooke. The lyrics, "We've come a long way" seem very apt here.

"Start a War" is another example of how Fraser's new musical style is a massive success. This anthemic track has a thumping chorus, beautiful vocals and some great lyrics, "I remember when we ruled the seas". I want to listen to this song over and over again.

Other great songs include the awesome "Thunder", the grand title track, "Brutal Romance" and the beautifully sad lyrics of the closer, "New Years Eve".

With breath taking vocals, great production and Fraser's usual mix of thought provoking lyrics, this is a great album that needs to be heard!


What's your favourite Brooke Fraser track? Maybe you don't know much of the Kiwi songstresses work, if not, you should check her out - she's awesome! There's any number of tracks I love, there's "Deciphering Me", "Lifeline" or "Something in the Water". I am also a massive fan of "Crows + Locusts" from the "Flags" album - such a hauntingly beautiful track. But my favourite is the simple but beautiful "Arithmetic" from her debut album. I have listened to this song many times over the years and it never fails to get old. Stunning work.


What's your favourite Brooke Fraser song? Tell me in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment