Thursday 25 December 2014

Pre Album Review: Rebel Heart - Madonna


Thank you Madonna for my Christmas present! Six new tracks! Of course it all came about controversially. Some idiot leaked the album, a few songs at first, now most of the album has been leaked. Madonna, naturally, was majorly peeved and combated it by putting the album for pre-order on iTunes, expected to be released in March. And as a thanks for pre-ordering the album you get 6 new tracks. Screw you Santa, Madonna is my new Christmas favourite.

Now I guess this is where I should give a disclaimer to people who don't know me - I am a massive Madonna fan. I have a Madonna tattoo and did a one-man show in Melbourne and Sydney this year called, "Everything I Know I Learnt From Madonna". She is my home girl and will always be.

Over the past few years there has been a lot of unwarranted dirt heaped on Madonna. People say she's too old and should cover up more. Such a sexist comment, male singers can still do what they like. And so many 50+ actors do shirtless scenes all the time and are considered sex symbols still. Back off haters. And then there's people complaining that Madonna should be doing music like her old stuff and not making current music. Um hello, she needs to evolve. And she evolves so well. While there are many critics of the last two albums, I personally loved them. And now it seems like Madonna is taking it to the next level with the new album, she has some exciting collaborations on the horizon and once again she is going to prove she is truly a pop culture phenomenon. People wouldn't talk about her so much if she wasn't still the Queen of Pop. Long may she reign!

1 - Living For Love

What a perfect start to the album, and let's hope this stays at the first single. This is classic Madonna. A great thumping pop song with Madonna sounding great. Lyrically it's uplifting and perfect. It's co-written by the wonderful Alicia Keys, who also offers some spot on backing vocals. From the opening refrain, I was in, hook,line and sinker. What a song. This is already my summer anthem and will be on repeat for quite some time.

2 - Devil Pray

I've said it a lot, a helluva a lot, Madonna is an amazing lyricist. This track continues the thread, lyrically sounding a lot like some of the great tracks from "American Life". A track about the dangers of excess and being at the bottom but still having hope for the future. It starts as a simple guitar ballad but with the help of some great production by Avicii and Blood Diamond it's turned into a great stomping dance track. A great album track.

3 - Ghost Town

This one has been a favourite of many Madonna fans, a sweeping ballad that is really a showcase for Madonna's sweet vocals, she sounds as good as she ever has. This is a hauntingly beautiful track that shows the evolution of Madonna as a singer and songwriter. "When it all falls down, we'll be two souls in a ghost town". It's stuff for the heart, an amazing ballad to add to the long list of classic Madonna ballads.

4 - Unapologetic Bitch

We move on to a newer Madonna, one who loves to use more hints of R&B. Some fans aren't as keen when she moves away from pop, but I love this sound. Her voice suits these attitude induced songs perfectly. This song is also happily laced with a reggae edge. Fuck I love this song. It is so much fun. Madonna has attitude and she is unafraid to show it. "It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch, but sometimes you know I've got to call it like it is." This could easily be a track for an artist like Rihanna, but let's face it, Madonna handles it better than anyone else could.

5 - Illuminati

Here's another fun song, but juxtaposed with a very dark and dirty dance beat delivered by the one and only Kanye West (P.S I love that these two are friends, so much attitude, so much fun!). Here's Madonna taking the piss out of the whole Illuminati legend, dropping a whole lot of names from Beyonce to the Queen. It's also a great dance song, "It's like everybody in this party shining like Illuminati", and shine it does. I have danced around my loungeroom many times to this great song already. A top song.

6 - Bitch I'm Madonna

Oh yes she is. In an industry where people are constantly claiming they are someone, here's an artist who really is all that. Bitch, she's Madonna. A legend, an icon and I love that she's embracing it. She doesn't need modesty, she's Madonna - an artist so many want to emulate. Here's another very fun song, this is looking like it's going to be a really fun album. Nicki Minaj is clearly a Madonna fan and offers her third rap verse to a Madonna track (after "Give Me All Your Lovin'" and the wonderful "I Don't Give A") - the two really do work well together. This track makes me smile, and I just love the way Madonna sings her own name. A perfect final sneak peak for the fans, this is a wonderful track.

So what's your favourite of the six tracks? I really do love them all, but really can't go past the sheer brilliance of "Living For Love". Tell me your favourite track in the comments section below.

And for all you Madonna fans, check out my past blog, a classic album review of "Like A Virgin" :
http://theinternaljukebox.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/classic-album-review-like-virgin.html

No comments:

Post a Comment