Thursday 11 December 2014

Classic Album Review: Martika's Kitchen - Martika


I have to admit I smile when I think of Martika. I loved her music in the early 90's, and also have very fond memories of watching 80's kids singing show, "Kids Incorporated" where Martika was my favourite cast member. Her debut album, "Martika" was a strong start, with worldwide smash "Toy Soldiers". Then she returned in 1991 with one of my favourite albums of the 90's. It was a more grown up sounding record, fusing jazz, funk, pop, R&B and Martika's Cuban heritage. Prince helped with the record, and his fingerprints are all over it. Australia seemed to love the album, lead single "Love .. Thy Will Be Done" went to number one, and the album went Top Ten. We seemed to be alone, the album only went to 111 in the US, and failed to hit Top Ten anywhere else and Martika was dropped from her record label. Stupid rest of the world!!!

This is a great album and Martika is a wonderful vocalist, I'm still miffed we never heard another new album from her. All twelve songs are great pieces of pop. In fact, listening to this album again this morning gave me warm fuzzy feelings all over.


Let's talk singles, and the first two are amazing, AMAZING I say. "Love ... Thy Will Be Done" is perfect pop. A Prince written and produced track that is hauntingly beautiful. This simple track is as good as 90's tracks get. There's a reason this is still played on radio. Then there's "Martika's Kitchen". Sure, this song hasn't aged as well, but I still love it. This is also a very Prince sounding song. A fun pop track, that's also a little dirty. "The table is set, the oven is hot". Yes, yes it is.

"Coloured Kisses" was third single and only charted Top 40 in Australia. While it's not as strong as the first two singles, it's a fun and simple pop track that's easy to sing along with. "Safe In The Arms of Love" was the fourth single, this orchestral led ballad is a beautiful showcase of Martika's strong vocals.

The album tracks are just as strong. Martika was unafraid to tackle social issues and these songs are great. The epic "Pride and Prejudice" tackles racism and homophobia, while "Broken Heart" is a beautifully sad track about babies born to drug addicted mothers. "Take Me To Forever" is another great power ballad and "Spirit" is also a nice little pop anthem. My favourite album track though is the R&B sounding, "Don't Say That U Love Me", a wondrous dance / pop song.

Despite being a commercial flop, this is a wonderful album that I have really enjoyed revisiting, and will revisit many more times. She will always be an artist that I'll wish I got to hear more from.


What's your favourite Martika song? Easy, it's "Love ... Thy Will Be Done", followed by "Martika's Kitchen." I've already shared the clip for both, so here I'll share my favourite song from her first album, the wonderful and poignant pop anthem, "Toy Soldiers".


What's your favourite Martika track? Do you miss her as much as me? Tell me in the comments section below.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite song of Martika's is "More Thank You Know" From the second album "Love..." and "Take Me To Forever" She's still recording. Check out her last single "Flow With The Go"

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0rrK015VWc

    ReplyDelete