Tuesday 9 December 2014

Album Review: VS. (Other People's Heartache Pt.III) - Bastille


It took a while for me to get into Bastille, I didn't mind them but I didn't love them. Then I sat down and really listened to their smash hit "Pompeii" and something switched in my brain, I was in - hook, line and sinker. Since then I've gone back and listened to all their music and have become an uber-fan. Yeah, they've had only one album but a number of great mix tapes.

A Bastille mix tape is an exciting thing, a chance for the band to experiment with their sound. The first two "Other People's Heartache" were named because they were mostly covers, brilliant covers and mashups. If you can track them down, do, they covered everything from TLC to Florence and the Machine. This one is different, the other people's heartaches aren't songs, they are other artists and the band collaborates with a whole of bunch of great artists, including buzz band Haim and female rapper, Angel Haze. There's even a track with Skunk Anansie, who I haven't heard anything from since 1995 and the "Mission Impossible" soundtrack.


So what's this mixtape like? It's a solid mini album. Clearly Bastille love music and that's infectious. As with any of their work, Dan Smith's unusual vocals shine, this man can sing. As for stand out tracks, there are a few. Lead promo single, "Torn Apart" is the most commercial on the album. It's an electro-pop corker that ranks up with their best. The other promo single. "The Driver" is a more moody affair, but also a strong track. Any track with Haim can't be a bad thing, and "Bite Down" doesn't disappoint. It's a catchy track that I've had on repeat for a few days. Also loved the moodiness of "Remains" and "bad_news" is an epic electronic track with sublime vocals.

Sure, not everything works on the album and some tracks are stronger than others, but isn't that the idea of a mixtape? To experiment. This is a soulful album that adds nicely to my rapidly growing collection of amazing Bastille tracks.


What's your favourite Bastille track? Over the space of the year they have probably become my favourite group, so picking a favourite could be tricky. "Laura Palmer" is an awesome track, as is "Of the Night", which does cover two of my favourite 90's dance tracks. But for me, there is only one real answer. You cannot go past the brilliance of the sublime, "Pompeii". It wasn't the bands first single, but it broke them worldwide. This is a great track that gets me singing along every time, a piece of electronic pop gold. Sing it loudly with my friends, "But if you close your eyes ...."


What's your favourite Bastille track? Tell me in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment