Thursday 4 December 2014

Classic Album Review: Let's Get To It - Kylie Minogue


After yesterday's post about "gay" music, I thought it only fitting to do my classic album review on my favourite Kylie Minogue album. Many would disagree, in fact, I don't think I know anyone who would list "Let's Get To It" as their favourite Kylie album - but I don't like things because others do. In fact this is the only Kylie album not to reach top ten in either the US or the UK.


"Let's Get To It" was a present I received for Christmas in 1991 with a discman from my parents, thanks Santa. I had just finished Year 11 and was listening to a lot of music while studying. There was more music than studying, but whatever, I graduated with good marks! I used to pop this CD into my discman a lot, often heading outside with a book to read and playing these great songs. This was a perfect album to escape with!

Produced by the 80's power producing trio Stock, Aitken & Waterman (SAW), this album differed to Kylie's first three releases. This album began Kylie's journey as a co-writer and was the last full length original album she did with SAW. The album was a departure from the "plastic pop" of Kylie's other releases with a more laid back pop feel that seemed inspired by a lot of funk and felt like her first proper adult release. It even featured some great R&B samples from Janet Jackson, Salt 'n' Pepa and Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam. This was Kylie's most US release, even though it didn't quite hit big in the States.


While Kylie's first two albums were about great singles and average album tracks, by album three, "Rhythm of Love", her work was becoming more consistent. It was here that Kylie finally had a truly great album across the board, even the album tracks are strong.

Let's talk singles, first single, "Word Is Out" was a big departure for Kylie. It features a new Jack sound with a mid tempo beat. With a catchy hook and lyrics, it wasn't her strongest first single (look below for my answer to that), but it was a great song that deserved more kudos than it got. Plus SAW always knew how to write a great chorus!


Second single was the duet with R&B star Keith Washington, "If You Were With Me Now". It's a beautiful ballad about longing, "There would be stars up in the sky if you were with me now". Washington is a great singer, so Minogue's vocals needed to be strong, and this was the best she had sounded on a song - her vocals improving greatly from her past ballads. It still gives me the feels! Third single, the cover, "Give Me Just A Little More Time" was her successful single from the album in the UK. However, it's pretty standard and one of the weaker tracks from the album.

My favourite song from the album is the fourth single, "Finer Feelings". Awkwardly making history as being her only single in Australia to not reach the Top 40 until 2010's "Get Outta My Way". But this is one of Kylie's favourites too, performing it at many of her later concerts. This is a great song, I especially love the end parts where the music is stripped back, just leaving strings, Kylie and her backing singers. Beautiful stuff.


As stated, the album tracks are also great. "I Guess I Like It Like That" is a full on dance track that takes you on a massive journey. Ballads, "No World Without You" and "Let's Get To It" are also strong tracks that could have easily been singles. I also love "Too Much of a Good Thing", a Kylie co-written track that perfectly demonstrates that Kylie was ready to be more than just a pop puppet for Stock, Aitken and Waterman.

A great album from a great Aussie pop princess. What a shame this album has been forgotten, cause it's a major classic for me!


So what's your favourite Kylie song? Wow, there are a lot to choose from! I'm a big fan of "Finer Feelings", as mentioned above. Love "Shocked", and "Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi" is a guilty pleasure. I was also heavily into "Confide in Me" when it first came out. But my favourite is the lead single from "Rhythm of Love", "Better the Devil You Know" - this track is as perfect as pop gets!


What's your favourite Kylie song? Tell me in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment