Wednesday 17 December 2014

Single of the Week: Up - Olly Murs featuring Demi Lovato


It's always a great thing when two pop artists you like come together for a duet, well you always hope it is. Sometimes the pairing doesn't work, this time it does, in a big way. Olly Murs is a former UK X-Factor runner up, while Lovato is a former child star who was also a US X-Factor judge. Both are not massive pop stars, but they have had solid hits and sustained careers over a few albums. I'm more a Lovato than a Murs fan, but still have loved some of his work.

So let's talk about the song. it's a folk driven pop song that's a little Mumford & Sons, a little One Direction. It's mid tempo with a driving beat that is a showcase for both performer's vocals. It has a great chorus that really highlights Lovato. The two work really well together on this song about a relationship in trouble that both are trying to hold onto. Sure it's not overly original, but this is radio friendly pop that will get stuck in your internal jukebox. I've been singing it to myself all morning!

There's considerable promise demonstrated in this song, that both artists will be able to evolve and stick around for a while. This is a more adult sound for both and I for one am intrigued to see what both do next. Let's hope it gets some airplay here in Australia and the pair are able to have another hit in this country.


So what' your favourite Olly Murs song? How about your favourite Demi Lovato track? Both have had solid tracks, but in all honesty, this may be my favourite Olly Murs track. But if I had to look back for another, I would pick "Troublemaker", it's a solid pop song that was stuck in my head a few years back. As for Demi, that's harder as I'm a bigger fan of hers. I loved both "Heart Attack" and "Made in the USA" from her last album. Plus I love her track from the Mortal Instruments soundtrack, "Heart to Heart". My favourite though would be her signature tune, "Skyscraper". It seems to be a favourite for contestants on singing shows, and for good reason. It's a stunning ballad, and Lovato's vocals are flawless. It's a beautiful track. In fact I'm listening to it right now!



What's your favourite track from either Olly Murs or Demi Lovato? Tell me in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment