Monday 27 July 2015

Album Review - Communion: Years & Years


Sometimes an artist comes out of nowhere and instantly becomes one of your favourites, that came for me this year with Years & Years. I adore the song "King" so much that I was dying to hear their album - and I was not let down, this is already one of the best of the year.

There's something magical about lead singer, Olly Alexander's voice, that is both beautiful and unique. His distinctive tone is the highlight of this album and his passionate voice is one of the best out there. Matched with some incredible beats and inspiring lyrics, it is clear Years & Years will be around for just that.


"King" has been massive this year, guaranteed it'll be in my top ten for the year. Funnily enough though it wasn't single number one from the album, it wasn't even number two (like I initially thought), it was actually single number four. The gents got some attention for the brilliant, "Desire", but it wasn't till "King" that everyone suddenly said, "Oh, I get it now". And after months, it is still a brilliant song that deserved it's position at number one on the UK charts. I would go as far as to say it was pop perfection.

So how is the rest of the album? Is it as good as "King"? Well no, because "King" is perfect, but the rest of the album is incredible. There is not one bad song on offer here. In fact, this album takes you on such an amazing journey, that I already know I'm going to be revisiting this a lot.


So let's pick some highlights. The already mentioned "Desire" is a great track, and hindsight shows what a great song it is - sounding so euphoric. New single "Shine" is also perfect. The beat is infectious and the chorus is fabulous. The gents have another hit on their hands and this deserves to be a massive dance floor classic.

"Worship" is a joyous and sexy tune that builds beautifully and has a great chorus. It would be a great single. "Memo" is a beautiful song, a stunning ballad that gave me all the feels in the right places. Plus bonus track, "I Want to Love" is so very catchy, why is it only a bonus track? I've highlighted these tracks, but really I could have mentioned any of the songs - they are all that good!

This is a passion filled album with pop gems. A modern classic that is exceptionally produced. Please give this album a chance, I truly adore it.



No comments:

Post a Comment