Tuesday 14 July 2015

Top 5 Songs: Cyndi Lauper


Top 5 list time and this week it's an artist I truly, truly love, which of course means choosing five songs was almost impossible. Cyndi Lauper is a brilliant singer and performer, and just a genuinely fascinating human - I am pretty excited to present this list.

I read Cyndi Lauper's autobiography a few years ago and it made me fall even deeper in love with her, and her music. Over the years she has created a very impressive catalogue of music, crossing from genre to genre and being able to recreate some of her own music to sound almost brand new. It's a shame her career didn't maintain the heights of the 80s, but she will always be a consummate professional and performer.

So making this list was difficult, very difficult. As always, I'll mention the songs that I love that missed out, and for Cyndi there are a lot. Upfront, "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" didn't make the list - love the song, love to sing along, but there's two other songs from the "She's So Unusual" album that made the cut. If there was a number 6, it probably be "The Goonies R Good Enough" - love that track. Also bummed I missed out "Change of Heart" and "I Drove All Night". Plus there's some later Cyndi I adore as well, "Into the Nightlife" and her beautiful cover of "Walk on By".

So here's my list of Top 5 list of Cyndi Lauper songs. And remember to tell me your favourite Cyndi track in the comments below:

5 - My First Night Without You


As always, I usually have songs on these lists that weren't hits. A song doesn't need to be massive for me to love it, I just need to have a strong connection to the song - and I have that with this one. I love this song so very much. It's a stunning ballad about coming home for the first time after a break up to an empty house - we've all been there, me recently. Cyndi's unique vocals sound amazing here as she hits some amazing notes, and the lyrics make my heart both cry and sing. More people should know this brilliant tune.

4 - Hole In My Heart


This brilliant track was really only a hit here in Australia and New Zealand. From the very funny film, "Vibes", this very fast pop song is just all kinds of fun. Lyrically it's very funny, there's a hole in her heart that goes all the way to China. The guitar is great and the beat is contagious. Cyndi sounds great here, she has such amazing passion in her voice. Listening to this again right now is making me smile very widely.

3 - She Bop


You just have to love a song all about masturbation, and this one is extra fun. The beat is great, all those 80s synths are awesome. There is a cuteness to Cyndi's voice here, a playfulness to fit the lyrics. And lyrically is where this song fires, "They say I better stop or I'll go blind". Love it! Then when Cyndi recorded it again for the "Body Acoustic" as a ballad it finds new meaning for this brilliant song - how I adore it!

2 - True Colors


This is a special song, truly beautiful in so many ways - there's a reason it's been covered by so many! Stark and rich, Cyndi's vocals sore on this inspirational tune about being yourself. Even better, Cyndi later began a charity called "True Colors" to eradicate gay homelessness - she is such a beautiful soul. And her soul is exposed here for all of us to admire. I love to sing this song loud and proud.

1 - Time After Time


For me there could be no other song at number one. Some songs become classic, this is one of them. This stunning ballad is trademark Cyndi Lauper and wondrous in so many ways. From the opening chords, to the brilliant chorus, it is hypnotising. Cyndi's voice sounds divine and the lyrics, those "suitcase of memories" are incredible. I bleed love for this song, now sing it with me, "If you're lost you can look and you will find, time after time ...."

So what's your favourite Cyndi Lauper track, tell me in the comments section below!

3 comments:

  1. I can't decide on just 5 here's some of my favorites.

    All Through the Night
    Money Changes Everything
    I'm Gonna Be Strong (the Blue Angel version)
    When You Were Mine
    It's Hard to Be Me
    She Bop
    I'll Kiss You
    Yeah Yeah
    I Drove All Night
    Change of Heart
    It's Hard to Be Me
    Feels Like Christmas
    Christmas Conga
    I Drove All Night
    Into the Nightlife
    That's What I Think
    Maybe He'll Know (the Blue Angel Version)
    Good Enough
    Hole in My Heart
    911
    Right Track Wrong Train
    Boy Blue

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also Shine, Who Let in the Rain, etc, she's done so many great ones!

      Delete