Friday 31 July 2015

Top 5 Songs: Taylor Dayne


I wanted to go a bit more retro this week with the Top 5 list and tackle an artist that I look back on with more than just a bit of affection - I look back with massive love. Ladies and gents, here is my Top 5 list for the incredible Taylor Dayne.

Taylor Dayne dominated my own personal airwaves in the early 90s with that big, beautiful and distinctive voice. In fact, when I finally got a CD player, the first CD I bought was Taylor's "Can't Fight Fate", right before I bought Madonna's "The Immaculate Collection". I always loved playing it, and I played it often. I played it again a few weeks ago and loved it all over again!

Looking back at her discography this morning I was reminded how many of her songs I love and just how many I was sadly going to have to omit from this list. So what do I love that missed out? From the first album there's "Prove Your Love", a pop classic. There's the other singles from "Can't Fight Fate", "With Every Beat of My Heart", and if there was a number of six on this list, it'd definitely be "Heart of Stone". Now I feel like I'm just listing all her songs here, cause I want to add, "Can't Get Enough of your Love", "I'll Wait" and "Say a Prayer". She has had just so many amazing songs!

And now here is my list, remember to tell me your favourite Taylor Dayne songs in the comments section below:

5 - Send Me A Lover



Taylor Dayne can certainly belt out a big and beautiful ballad, and I present to the court exhibit one, "Send Me a Lover". This is such a lovely song and Taylor's voice soars here. This melancholic song pulls at the heartstrings and is a sheer joy to listen to, and possibly cry along with, "Send me a lover, someone to believe in. Please send me someone that I can hold". Amen Taylor.

4 - I'll Be Your Shelter



Now this is a great song, a mid tempo pop track with that trademark intense voice from Taylor. It is such an infectious song that makes you want to sing along. It has a great beat and builds so beautifully to that massive chorus. This song was huge here in Australia, and rightly so, it is a supremely good song.

3 - Tell It To My Heart



If you want a brilliant 80s pop track, look no further than the iconic, "Tell it to my heart". That hair, those lips, that voice - I just watched the film clip again and was in retro heaven. You just have to love that synth track playing throughout and the lyrics are so easy to get stuck in your head. Sorry neighbours, because I have been singing loudly, "Tell it to my heart, tell me I'm the only one..."

2 - Original Sin



This song from the forgotten Alec Baldwin superhero film, "The Shadow" never got the attention it deserved. Sounding like a cross between a Bond theme and the biggest Meatloaf tunes (it was written by longtime Meat Loaf collaborator Jim Steinman), this is melodrama in overdrive. Taylor's voice sounds spectacular over those dramatic guitars, strings and backing vocals. And you have to dig those lyrics where she sings about looking for a new sin since she's already done all the old ones. Oh, I love this song!

1 - Love Will Lead You Back



This may be one of the most beautiful ballads of all time! Written by legend Diane Warren, it is a stunning showcase for that amazing voice of Ms Dayne. With the right level of drama from the instruments and beautiful lyrics, Taylor's voice soars as she pours out her heart and hits those exquisite notes. I have listened to this song many, many times over my life and will continue to do so. Beautiful stuff indeed.

Remember to tell us your favourite Taylor Dayne song in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment