Tuesday 28 July 2015

Single of the Week: No Sleeep - Janet Jackson featuring J Cole


Janet Jackson is back, and back in a big way. Not only is Janet back with an amazing new song, "No Sleeep", she's also back on form. This song is amazing.

This track has been out for a little while now and I have been desperate to have it as my single of the week but wanted to wait until there was a film clip. And I'm glad I waited, because not only did we get a great clip, we also got a remix featuring the talented J. Cole. Now I'm often against taking a pre-existing pop song and adding a verse from a rapper, because usually it adds nothing. Here it adds a new layer to a great song. J. Cole is a very talented rapper and he proves his worth here.

There's a lot of talk that Janet is sounding a lot like some of her old music here, classic Janet from the "janet" and "Velvet Rope" era. She's also back with producing powerhouses, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. These gents know her voice so well, and produce her beautifully. I can hear a little of some of her classics, it is a little reminiscent of the great, "Any Time, Any Place". But to be fair to Janet, even though it has the same flavour of some of her best songs, this is a great stand alone track.

Janet's sultry voice sounds amazing here and the beat is slow and sexy - it's both sweet and dirty at the same time. It has already been stuck in my head for a number of days, and I find myself singing along to the chorus - even when it's not on!! The instrumentation is beautiful and this song gets me excited for Janet's upcoming album. She's also announced a new tour, I am really hoping she makes it to Australia, we'd love to see her here again. I've only seen her play live once, during "The Velvet Rope" tour, and I'd love to relive that amazing night.

"No Sleeep" is a great return for a great artist, get on it people - it deserves to be a hit!


No comments:

Post a Comment