Wednesday 8 July 2015

Top 5 Songs: Alanis Morrisette


I wasn't sure who's career I was going to celebrate with a Top 5 list week and then I saw a Facebook friend post about Alanis Morrisette's classic album, "Jagged Little Pill" turning 20 and I knew who's list I had to complete.

Twenty years, can you believe it's been twenty years?! What a brilliant album with some amazing songs. I saw her live just after the album and she was awesome, truly awesome. I remember standing in the mosh pit with the worst head cold feeling very ill, but I still loved it! Even as her career continued, I have continued to love her music.

So picking five songs was pretty hard, there were so many songs to choose from. It was so hard to not include, "Uninvited", I ummed and arred and it just missed out. Also love her cover of "Crazy", her later single "Guardian" is brilliant, and then there's everything I haven't included from "Jagged Little Pill" - sorry "Ironic", just missed out! And also bummed "Your House" missed out.

So here's my top 5 Alanis songs, remember to tell me yours in the comments section below.

5 - Unsent

There's something so beautiful about this song, an open letter to her past loves. I am bummed I couldn't find the clip, cause it is stunning. The song is an unusual one, there is no chorus or hook, just a simple beat, a beautiful and sweet vocal and the winner, amazing lyrics. In a stream of thought, Alanis lets us into how she feels now about her exes, the ones she hurt, the ones who hurt her and the ones she wished she could have stayed friends with. It is stunning and it always makes me think of my exes - a good song indeed!

4 - Thank U

The first single from album two, "Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie", was always an interesting one as people were so shocked Alanis released a happy song. This was a new Alanis, an enlightened Alanis and one who wrote beautiful lyrics about finding herself. The haunting opening beat is wonderful and the song is a winner, a great one to listen to loud while shouting the lyrics. Or is that just me with a few drinks?

3 - Hands Clean

This first single from her fifth album, "Under Rug Swept" is such a catchy song. The best Alanis songs are confessional, usually a big overshare, but an awesome one. The song is told from the perspective of an older lover talking of their taboo relationship. It is acoustic rock at it's best, and Alanis's trademark vocals sound amazing here. A deserved hit for a great artist!

2 - Head Over Feet

People loved "Jagged Little Pill" for being such an angry album, but "Head Over Feet" was anything but, it was a beautiful love song, a rock ballad that makes the heart sing. The lyrics are beautiful, it's all about a woman who is in a relationship with her best friend, and this is a good relationship - much better than any other relationship from the other songs on the album. "You've already won me over, in spite of me", beautiful stuff.

1 - You Oughta Know

There could be no other song at number one. It was her first international release and it became a true pop culture phenomenon. This is one angry song, lyrically you have to love it, "And are you thinking me when you fuck her?". Alanis's vocals are spot on, unique and have such a brilliant edge. I remember listening to this non-stop when it came out, and I still adore it. So many people have tried to copy this song's style and have paled in comparison to her greatness.

So what's your favourite Alanis Morrisette song? Tell me in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment