Wednesday 22 July 2015

Top 5 Songs: Take That


If asked who my favourite boyband of all time is, I would probably answer Take That - a band I have adored for many decades. Listening to their greatest hits CD on the weekend, it made me realise it was time to celebrate their greatness with a Top 5 list.

I remember discovering Take That when I was in high school and used to sit in the dark, in bed, on a Sunday night listening to the UK Top 10 on my headphones. I started hearing Take That tunes and I was instantly sold. By the time, "Could It Be Magic" started to chart here in Australia, I was already a massive fan. But it was when I was in Uni and the second album, "Everything Changes", came out and I became an even bigger fan.

Throughout their long career they've changed their line up a little, Robbie Williams left, came back and then left again. Jason Orange has also recently left but the boys have kept on as a three piece. There's been solo releases as well, but together the boys are best.

Now choosing just five was hard and I feel bad snubbing the first album. There's a number of songs that almost made the list but just missed out, they include "Babe", "Why Can't I Wake Up With You" and "Never Forget". Plus there's the newer tracks I love, "Kidz", "Love Love" and the newer single, "These Days".

So take a look at my list and remember to tell me in the comments section below your favourite Take That tunes.

5 - The Flood

Robbie Williams was back and the guys were firing on all cylinders. This epic pop ballad is a showcase for both Williams and Gary Barlow on lead vocals. The luscious instrumentation is grand and the lyrics are inspiring, seemingly a statement of how they have managed to endure the years and still stand strong, "Although no one understood we were holding back the flood, learning how to dance the rain." Beautiful stuff indeed.

4 - Patience

After 10 years, the four boys reformed to release this exquisite song. What a beautiful track this is, starting like a simple ballad but it builds to something pretty special. Gary sounds brilliant here, his falsetto in the chorus is to die for. This was the last hit the boys had here in Australia, but at least they went out in very big style.

3 - Back For Good

The boys biggest hit ever, their only Aussie number one and their only US top ten hit. It truly is a stunning track, a beautiful ballad filled with all the heart! Gary Barlow's vocals are brilliant and the rest of the lads harmonise so well. This song makes me smile and want to sing along. A true pop classic.

2 - Pray

I remember buying this CD single while at Uni, I couldn't afford it, but I cut back on food for the week because I NEEDED to own it - and I don't regret it at all. This is a wondrous song, a perfect piece of pop. The chorus is so brilliant, and so catchy, and you have to love the sound of those 90s synths. Loved this song in the 90s, and still love it to this day.

1 - Relight My Fire

I truly love this disco classic covered by the boys, making a pop/dance classic that still gets me dancing. The vocals are exquisite, as are the harmonies. It is so infectious and that film clip is so God damn sexy. As I can adult I can finally admit the crush I had on Jason Orange here, the repressed Uni student couldn't quite admit why he played this clip so much. I played this at my recent 40th birthday party, and it went off, and rightly so. I could listen to those strings all day. Oh, and I forgot Lulu, she sounds great here too. Play this song, now!!!

So what's your favourite Take That songs? Tell me in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment