Friday 14 August 2015

Top 5 Songs: Pet Shop Boys


There are few artists that I have loved as much and as long as the Pet Shop Boys. Since the 80s, the duo of Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe have produced the soundtrack to a lot of my life. So I am glad to present my Top 5 Pet Shop Boys songs.

The electronic duo have an incredible of combining amazing beats, thought provoking and/or fun lyrics and stunning vocals. Their back catalogue is incredibly full of amazing tunes, having sold 50 million records worldwide, in fact they are the most successful UK duo of all time.

So choosing just five songs was almost impossible, I just love so much of their work. So let's get to that long list of songs that I am bummed I couldn't include. "West End Girls", "Left to my Own Devices", "So Hard", "Can You Forgive Her?" "Before", "I Don't Know What You Want but I can't Give it to You Anymore" and "I'm With Stupid" were all amazing and sadly couldn't make it on the list. Then there's some of their later work that is also gold, "London", "Love etc" and "Love is a Bourgeois Construct". Wow they have had some amazing tunes over the years! Then there's the two tracks which were so close, "Always on my Mind" and "Domino Dancing", I am seriously disappointed these tracks missed out!

So what songs did make it? Time for my Pet Shop Boys Top 5 list. And remember to tell me your favourite Pet Shop Boys songs in the comments section below:

5 - Yesterday When I Was Mad


The "Very" album reminds me so much of University. This album was out and I played it on repeat, it was so "very" good. This is such a great tongue in cheek tune, sure the beat is amazing, but for me it's all about those lyrics, they are fabulous. My favourite, for sure, is; "And someone said it's fabulous that you're still around today, you both made such a little go a very long way." Self deprecating brilliance!

4 - You Only Tell Me You Love When You're Drunk


This bittersweet beauty is as stripped back as Pet Shop Boys get. This is a track I revisit often, I love the melancholy feel to it, and there's a super cover by Splendid with vocals from the amazing Angie Hart. The music is stunning, there's an epic quality to the beat, but also a simple beauty. Tennant's voice shows so much aching and hurt and the lyrics break my heart, probably cause we've all been in that relationship where we love them more than they love us. A beautiful track.

3 - It's a Sin


Pet Shop Boys are known for drama in their music, and you don't get more dramatic than this gem. The music is brilliant, the best of the 80s. Plus you have to love the religious feel of the track, an ode to growing up in a religious environment and not fitting in - something I think many gay people can understand. I bleed love for this track, a song meant to be played loud!

2 - Heart


We're at the stage now where I am seriously infatuated with these songs. The boys originally wrote this song for Madonna, but never ended up playing it for her, keeping it themselves. While the lads are not the biggest fans of this song, fans love it. I'm with them. This is a beautiful track, a love song with a great driving beat and some dramatic strings. Tennant's voice sounds so sweet and the lyrics make me want to fall in love. And what a great clip that stars Sir Ian McKellan. Such a great track.

1 - Rent


Now we have arrived at my favourite Pet Shop Boys song, and it's another from the "Actually" album, clearly an LP I loved! Now this is a little more of a simple song, a bit more of a ballad - but still with a great beat. There's something quite beautiful about this track, a longing, even if it does contain the brilliant lyrics, "I love you, you pay my rent". I love this track so much there may even be an acoustic cover by me floating around somewhere on the internet. A brilliant track from one of the best, if not the best, music duo of all time.

What's your favourite Pet Shop Boys Song? Tell us in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment