Friday 21 August 2015

Top 5 Songs: Pointer Sisters


We are going right back this week for the Top 5, right back to a set of sisters who are absolutely fabulous, the Pointer Sisters. To quote the ladies, "I'm So Excited".

The Pointer Sisters hold a special place in my heart. They were the first group that I ever loved. Discovering music as a young boy they were the first act I remembered being truly excited about. Along with Laura Branigan and Lionel Ritchie, they were my favourites until I discovered Whitney and then of course, Madonna.

The ladies were just so God damn fun and their songs were brilliant. Brilliant and infectious! And those fashions were a sight to behold. A few of their songs will always be some of my favourite songs of all time. Listening to their tunes again this morning was so much fun. Naturally, there were quality songs that missed out on the Top 5. "Slow Hand" is such a great song, as is "He's So Shy". And "Fire" is a true classic!

So time for the Top 5, and remember to let me know your favourite Pointer Sisters songs in the comments section below:

5 - Automatic


Ruth Pointer's deep voice is so perfect in this very funky R&B track, and the beat is so dirty it's incredible. The girls always sounded amazing together, and this track is the perfect example of that. This was their biggest hit in the UK and is still a classic, loved hearing this again this morning!

4 - Dare Me


This is so 80s and I just love it! The bass is so strong in this track and it is wonderfully funky. The song also has a brilliant attitude about it and lead vocals by June are just perfect. I loved this one when I was a kid, it came out while I was in Year 5. I remember always loving the line, "I got a chip on my shoulder with your name on it". Great stuff!

3 - Jump (For My Love)


Now this is a classic! A beautiful combo of the post disco / Hi-NRG sound that I love. The track is all about that wonderfully repetitive synth that appears throughout. June sounds great on lead and the harmonising is perfection. These lyrics are brilliant and the song is so very addictive. I'll probably be singing this now for three straight days!

2 - Neutron Dance


What a brilliant track that again demonstrates how infectious the tunes of the Pointer Sisters are. This takes me back so perfectly and I really do feel like, "I'm just burning doing the Neutron Dance". It has such a beautifully rich groove and Ruth's deep vocals are perfection. Turn it on, turn it up and lose yourself dancing!!!

1 - I'm So Excited


This song is perfection! There just some tracks that will always be classics, and this is one of them. Everything works here, the funky 80s synth and bass and Anita's brilliant vocals, plus the amazing harmonies. Lyrically it gets me excited, this is a perfect karaoke tune! I adore this track, quite simply, it makes me smile - and that is a good thing!

What's your favourite Pointer Sisters track? Tell me in the comments section below.

1 comment: