Thursday 5 November 2015

Album Review: Eleven - Tina Arena


Warning, I am about to begin gushing over the new Tina Arena album, "Eleven", cause quite frankly, it's pretty damn perfect. In fact it is rivalling "Don't Ask" as her best album - and that is a big call!

Years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Tina. It was at a record signing, she trudged out to Blacktown in Sydney's West to sell and sign copies of "Don't Ask". I lined up for quite a while, bought my copy and then went to get it signed. She was wonderful, so friendly with everyone. Nervous as I was, I handed it over for her sign, and said, "I'm really looking forward to listening to the album, loved your last one". Quickly and firmly, but still friendly, she responded, "That album wasn't really me, you'll love this one a lot more". I guess I learnt where the "Don't Ask" came from. But she was right, that album was more her, though I have to admit Tina, I still love listening to "Strong as Steel" - "I Need Your Body" is a camp classic! Since then, Tina has continued to make personal albums, these aren't about frivolous things, her albums are about the heart, Tina's heart. And she's always had a big one, although slightly broken. "Eleven" shows an even deeper glimpse at that heart. A heart that may still be bruised, but is still beating stronger than ever.

Another little insight into me, when I review an album I listen to it once while doing other things. Answering emails, writing, baking, whatever. I let it wash over me and songs always stick out. Then a day or so later, I sit down with some headphones and really listen, making notes. I put an asterix next to songs I love, and a dash next to ones I really like. It is very rare for an album to have every song have all asterisks and dashes. That happened with "Eleven" - it is that good!

Vocally the album is sublime. Tina Arena is Australia's best vocalist. Period. Lyrically she always finds a way to cut to the bone, the lyrics are so beautifully and brutally honest, and it's even more inspiring that she co-wrote every song. The album is heartbreaking, but also hopeful. It is the perfect follow up to "Reset", it builds on its momentum and hits a home run. On a side note, "Reset" is a great album, my favourite song is definitely the sublime, "Patchwork Heart" - break my heart.

First single, "I Want To Love You", is perfect. This song has been stuck, again, in my head all week. The chorus is fierce and the track builds beautifully, plus, those notes, wow. Promo single, "Overload" is my favourite track on the album. I love this song so very much. Wonderfully autobiographical, the lyrics hit me personally. I relate to this song so perfectly, and that really is Tina's gift, she has always made songs we can relate to. "By the look on my face, I'm a soldier". Amen!

Let's take a quick look at some other highlights (though I could say the whole album here). "Unravel Me" is an epic start to the album. A stunning song that is heartbreaking, "Liberate me if you can". "Colours" is another beautifully sad song, love the change in the track in the middle. With lush instrumentation, "Not Still In Love With You" is a powerful ballad with some great lyrics, "I can't wait for you to call me, so I can not pick up".

"Magic" is a little disco, a little R&B and all parts brilliant. It's a groovy song with a catchy chorus and a great beat. This should be a single. "Lie In It" is a striking piano ballad, "Karma" is a mammoth tune with exceptional production and "Love Falls" has a great groove, builds wonderfully and has a great chorus.

There is not one bad track here. I never give out ratings, but if I did, this would be five stars. What an amazing album from a truly exceptional talent. Buy this album, you will not regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment