Tuesday 10 November 2015

Top 5 Songs: Sheryl Crow


I'm always a fan of the acts we celebrate with a Top 5 list, but sometimes I'm a mega fan. Counting down Sheryl Crow this week, I fall very squarely into the category of mega fan! And with over 50 million albums sold worldwide, I guess I'm not alone.

Since 1993, Sheryl Crow has been producing amazing albums and singles spanning genre and touching our hearts with a combination of amazing lyrics and stunning vocals. Still producing great work, she is an artist you can always rely on to make you smile or to help you cry out that heartbreak.

Considering how much I love her work, it was always going to be difficult nailing this down to just five songs - naturally some gold had to miss out. I am bummed, "All I Wanna Do" is not included here, the same can be said for "If It Makes You Happy" and her sublime cover of "The First Cut is the Deepest". The Kid Rock duet, "Picture" is truly beautiful, and "Soak Up the Sun" is just a great track. The song "Detours" certainly owns a good chunk of my heart, as does "Woman in the White House". The one I really desperately wanted on the list was "Anything But Down", just missed out, as did its album mate, "My Favorite Mistake". But time to look at the tracks that did make it.

Remember to tell me your favourite Sheryl tracks in the comments section below, and please share the blog with friends and other Sheryl Crow fans.

5 - Easy



Smooth and laidback, this is the ultimate summer song. A fantastic little love song about being able to just relax with that special person, no matter where they are. The guitar sounds great and Sheryl's vocals are spot on and show her great range. This is one of those songs that makes me smile, it is so joyous and carefree. This is a special song indeed.

4 - Everyday is a Winding Road



This song reminds me of driving home in peak hour when I had an annoying 9-5 job. It always stressed me, but when this came on, I was just transported into the song. The instrumentation on this song is sublime and the track has such a fun feel. The vocals are awesome, and this song has some of my favourite lyrics of all time. "He was high on intellectualism, I've never been there, but the brochure looks nice". Cracks me up every time.

3 - Summer Day



Speaking of Summer anthems! "Summer Day" has a magical ease to it, so very smooth and laidback. We can all relate to this great song, for me it was about a lover, for my best friend, it was about her child. That is Sheryl's talent, writing songs we can all relate to. And this track does that in spades. I love to put this on loud, close my eyes and just sing along. It's a beautiful song from a truly beautiful artist.

2 - Always On Your Side



We've covered light and breezy, so I guess it's time to break our hearts! The whole "Wildflower" album is perfect, but this song is special, with or without Sting. I have cried a number of tears over this song, happy and sad ones. The stark piano is hauntingly beautiful and the laidback approach lets the brilliant vocals and the amazing lyrics shine through. "Butterflies are free to fly, why do they fly away?" Even typing that gave me a pang of raw emotion. Sheryl Crow you are a true poet.

1 - Strong Enough



Confession time, "All I Wanna Do" came out in Australia and was massive and I just didn't get it (don't worry, I did later), but then "Strong Enough" came out and something happened, it moved me and I fell instantly in love with Sheryl, and have been ever since. This song is perfect in every sense, the instrumentation and production is flawless, the vocals are agonisingly passionate and the lyrics are brilliant. My favourite line? "Good I feel like hell tonight" - we've all been there. This is such a great song that I will never, ever, tire of.

Remember to tell me your favourite Sheryl Crow songs in the comments section below.

Join us on social media to find when out we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:

No comments:

Post a Comment