Saturday 28 November 2015

So 90s - Ten Awesome Songs From 1991


Two weeks ago we went back in time to 1990 to look at 10 awesome songs you may have forgotten. Well, this week, we turn back the clock to 1991 and there were just so many songs to choose from - but I must admit these are some great songs that have some truly great memories for me ... and maybe you.

So take a look at these ten songs, and tell us in the comments section which of these songs you love and what other 1991 songs you'd highlight.

Baby Baby - Amy Grant



Oh Amy Grant, she was such a good girl! She was a big Christian pop star and this was her massive cross over hit, along with "Every Heartbeat". And what a great pop song it was, a great little beat that was just so 90s - those synths even sounded a little heavenly. Amy had a great voice and the song was as catchy as hell, whoops, probably the wrong phrase to use! A fun little pop ditty from a great singer.

I Wanna Sex You Up - Color Me Badd



I was all about this song in 1991, I was in year 11 and I guess it was the right level of naughty for me. It helped that it was a great song, though in hindsight it was so very cheesy. But you have to love that deep beat, those harmonies and the great backing vocals. Plus that chorus is really infectious, you have to love the "Tick Tock..." in the background. A great combo of pop and R&B, it was a little dirty but still pretty innocent. A fun little song.

Falling - Julee Cruise



"Twin Peaks" is quite possibly my favourite TV show of all time, it was everywhere in the early 90s and the theme music was so hauntingly beautiful. The whole soundtrack was excellent, still one I like to play. When Julee Cruise's hypnotising vocals were added to that amazing but slightly scary music, magic happened. It was also great whenever Julee performed on "Twin Peaks", so pumped for the new season in 2017. It hit number one here in Australia, rightly so. This song builds so beautifully, and even though it sounds slightly sinister the lyrics are so beautiful. If you haven't heard it in years, listen again and lose yourself in this exceptional song.

Romantic - Karyn White



This wasn't a hit here in Australia, but I grew to love this song from listening to American Top 40 on the radio every Sunday afternoon while doing my homework. I was introduced to this song and it was love at first listen. Now this is some 90s R&B goodness, that sound still gets me. The chorus is big and so very awesome. This is a sexy, sexy song and Karyn White is a great vocalist, I'm embarrassed to say this is the only song of hers I know - but what a great song it is!

Read My Lips - Melissa



Having worked in the story room of "Neighbours", I know I should probably call it my favourite Aussie show of all time, but no, that honour belongs to "E-Street". I was talking to a friend recently of the brilliance of "E-Street", and we both agreed how awesome Melissa Tkautz was, and I loved when she released this cracker of a pop song, I also own the 12" single of "Sexy .. is the Word". This is a great pop song, infectious beat, some risque lyrics, "If you want to wait to later, hands off my detonator" and fun, flirty vocals from Melissa. She's still releasing great music, so check out her stuff!

Don't Go Now - Ratcat



Ratcat were so cool in 1991. First there was the awesome "Tingles" E.P and then this number one song. Aussie indy rock was just finding its feet and Ratcat were at the forefront. The driving guitar is great and Simon Day had a great voice that was the right kind of affected. This song was everywhere in 91 and we all loved to turn it loud - it is still as good today, I'm rocking out to it right now as I write this blog.

Cry For Help - Rick Astley



Rick was known for the pop sound created by Stock, Aitken and Waterman on his first two albums, then on album number three he tried something new. "Cry For Help" was the first single, and it was a beautiful laidback ballad that highlighted Rick's extraordinary voice. This is such a beautiful song, those are lyrics are so special. When he sings, "Why won't she say she needs me?", you can feel the passion. I miss Rick Astley, he was the best!

Tom's Diner - Suzanne Vega / DNA



Originally a great little acoustic number, the song was reborn when it was famously remixed by producers DNA. It was such a good remix, the song is still being sampled today, Fall Out Boy sampling it recently. Plus there's the recent Britney cover of the song. The song works so well because that fun beat is mixed with a simple but great little vignette about a day in a diner. Vega's voice is sheer bliss and it matches the beat perfectly. I truly adore this song, the cassingle was a prized possession for me.

Hold You Tight - Tara Kemp



This is another song I discovered because of my love for American Top 40 on a Sunday afternoon, did any other Aussies listen to that too? This R&B / pop song has such a strong and big chorus that years after hearing this song I had to track down her album - when I could finally afford to buy music on my own. Kemp has a great voice and the song is slickly produced with that great 90s sound. Still love grooving out to this song.

I Think I Love You - Voice of the Beehive



Final track for the week is a brilliant cover that I was all about in 1991. Voice of the Beehive were such a kick arse pop act who did some great music that year, I was trying to decide between this and "Perfect Place", but went with this number because of the sheer joy this song brought me. This is how you do a cover, you make it your own. The guitars and synths are played hard and the vocals are awesome. It is such a happy and contagious song that you have to love it!


Join us on social media to find when out we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:

No comments:

Post a Comment