Monday 2 November 2015

Single of the Week: Used To Love You - Gwen Stefani


Sometimes you can hear a song once and you immediately fall in love with it, that is what happened with Gwen Stefani's latest release, "Used To Love You" - a touching ballad that just had to be the single of the week.

While we always remember Gwen, and her work with No Doubt, for her big and brash pop/rock songs like "Just A Girl", "Hella Good", "Hollaback Girl" and "The Sweet Escape", there have been some truly stunning ballads. I remember how much I immediately fell in love with "Don't Speak", and it can still give me the feels; then there's beautiful tracks like "Simple Kind of Life" and "4 in the Morning". Gwen's voice sound so wonderfully when emoting.

And wow does she emote on this stunning single, clearly written about her marriage breakdown from Gavin Rossdale, the lyrics cut to the bone. The chorus alone makes you fully understand her state of mind, "I don't know why I cry, but I think it's cause I remembered for the first time, since I hated you, I used to love you". Straight to the point, these words are heartbreaking, and I guess, lyrics we have all felt from time to time. But the amazing lyrics don't just stop with the chorus, the whole song is filled with amazing writing, "You go, I'll stay, you can keep all the memories" I don't think that's worked so well Gwen!

Musically the track is sounding great, it's an electro pop ballad with a funky beat that is slickly produced. The beat is just as infectious as the lyrics. Hears hoping this single receives more attention than her first singles from her now delayed third album, and those were great songs, "Baby Don't Lie" was one of our first singles of the week on this blog. But this track is special, and I already know it will be high in our favourite songs of 2015. Now to get everyone else to hear it .....


Join us on social media to find when out we release a blog, there's a lot of fun coming up and some competitions. Join now at:

No comments:

Post a Comment