Saturday 20 June 2015

Album Review: Deja Vu - Giorgio Moroder


Originally named, "74 is the new 24", and changed to the more youth favourable, "Deja Vu", the new Giorgio Moroder album is a slice of pure pop with some major guest singers. This is a slickly produced and wonderful album that will be on heavy rotation for me this year.

Giorgio Moroder has been around for a long time, now at 75, he has been making music longer than most reading this blog have been alive, including me. His producing discography looks like the best compilation CD ever. Blondie's "Call Me", "The NeverEnding Story", "Take My Breath Away", "What a Feelin", "Together in Electric Dreams" and pretty much anything you love from Donna Summer, including "Hot Stuff", "On the Radio" and "I Feel Love". He is a production genius, and he is certainly back to form here.


This is like an amazing compilation album featuring some amazing pop artists. There's Kylie, Britney, Sia - all faves of mine. Then there's other great artists too, like Foxes, Charli XCX and Kelis. And none of them are wasted, this is a great album that showcases the talents of some awesome vocals of some of the world's best pop and R&B stars. The thing that is great, even though these artists all have unique sounds, here all the songs, even though they are all different, sound cohesive. Played together it feels like quite the fantastic pop journey.

So let's talk about the best tracks. Clearly first single, "Right Here, Right Now", featuring Kylie Minogue, is a complete winner. It was a single of the week for me earlier in the year. I am legitimately angry this song wasn't a massive hit. It's the best song Kylie has had for years and it is so glorious. The strings, the synth, her higher vocals make for a bloody good track.


Single two, title track, "Deja Vu", featuring the wondrous vocals of Sia, is also brilliant. It actually took a few listens to get into this song, but then something happened and I went crazy for it. I don't think I could list the amount of times I heard this song yesterday, I love it. And I have been singing it most of the day! It's effortless, stunning and bright. Those strings are beautiful, there's a great beat and Sia's voice sounds as silky and powerful as always. Sheer brilliance.


The Britney Spears track is cover of the Suzanne Vega classic, "Tom's Diner", that has been covered and sampled so many times before. I thought it was a bizarre choice of cover until I heard it. It does manage reinvent the song with a new beat, and Britney sounds great. I am loving this song right now!

Other awesome tracks include Foxes cut, "Wildstar", it has a smooth beat, catchy chorus and is probably the best Foxes track I've heard. The Marlene led track, "I Do This For You", is catchy and the building beats are exquisite. "Tempted", featuring Matthew Koma, has a more disco sound, it may sound like sounds of old but is still fresh enough to be amazing.

The mix of disco, pop and EDM on offer here is wonderful. While some of the stuff may be slightly forgettable, as a whole, this is a great album with some great songs that will have you singing along. I've been waiting with baited breath for this album, and I was not let down. Highly recommended!


No comments:

Post a Comment