Wednesday 10 June 2015

Top 5 Songs: Dannii Minogue


Time for some REAL pop. Some may know her only as Kylie's little sister, but she is an amazing singer in her own right. Confession time, I have often thought that I actually prefer Dannii's music to Kylie's! That may shock many people.
Dannii is underrated as a performer, looking through her discography again this morning I was struck by how much I love all these songs. Her "Love and Kisses" cassette got a massive workout when I was young and then when it was re-released as "Love and Kisses and ...", I had a CD walkman by then and it, with Kylie's "Let's Get To It" and Madonna's "Immaculate Collection", were the three albums I was playing the most.

My love has continued for her music over the years, love how she is both a pop and dance diva and has delivered some amazing singles - all of which deserved more attention than they received.

It was hard just picking five songs for this list, there were so many I wanted to choose from. Sad I had to miss out some tracks from the first album, loved both "Success" and "I Don't Wanna Take This Pain". Also bummed I couldn't include "Jump to the Beat", "All I Wanna Do", "Don't Wanna Lose This Groove", "Won't Forget About Me" and "So Under Pressure" - all beautiful slices of pop music.

But the five that were selected are great tunes - let me know in the comments section below what your favourite Dannii songs are.

5 - Disrememberance



This great number from 1998 is so very rich and lush. What starts as a bit of a ballad quickly turns into full electronic dance floor thumper. Dannii's voice sounds great here and the tight beats also sound great. Lyrically I'm a big fan too, when she belts out "Will you remember me?", you can't help but feel the passion. Always disappointed that more people don't know this song!

4 - Love and Kisses



I just had to include the original video here, love it. And boy did I love this song when it came out, I got the 12" vinyl and it played it constantly. What a great debut track, it had the right pop sounds when released in 1990 and made me dance in my lounge room. Sure it has one of the worst rap lyrics ever, "We not at McDonalds baby, so what's your beef?', but it just adds to the charm of this great forgotten gem that hit number four here in Australia.

3 - I Begin To Wonder



"Neon Nights" was a great album, a perfect pop piece. "I Begin To Wonder" was the strongest piece. It's a great electro pop song with a great beat that is definitely a club anthem. Dannii's voice has a great sex appeal here and the heavy synth is heavenly. Points as well for the great remix that sampled Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)". In 2003 this song was one of my favourite tracks for the year.

2 - Baby Love


I love this song, and just watching the clip again took me back to late High School when I watched this on loop. When Dannii added tracks to her "Love and Kisses" album and re-released it, this was a perfect example on her evolving sound. Her voice sounded so sweet and this cover was a great piece of pop. I still listen to this song all the time, it is a pop classic from a time when I loved music the most.

1 - This Is It


This may be a cover, but it has so iconically become known as a Dannii Minogue song. I keep this track on a work playlist and whenever it comes on, I see so many people singing along. It really is perfect pop, camp as hell, but absolutely perfect. There was a time I knew the choreography for the fun clip - I think it's scary how many times I would have played this song over my life - it truly is one of my all time favourite songs!

So what's your favourite Dannii Minogue song? Tell me in the comments section below.

1 comment:

  1. "This Is It" is one of those songs that make me instantly happy! "Who Do You Love Now?" is another favourite. I've loved Dannii since Young Talent Time days. You are so right, she is highly underrated.

    ReplyDelete