Tuesday 23 June 2015

Single of the Week: Bitch, I'm Madonna - Madonna


Single number three from the brilliant "Rebel Heart" album and it's a divisive one. This loud, brash and arrogant song hasn't pleased some, but for me, it's just how I love my Madonna - iconic!


Honestly, is "Bitch, I'm Madonna" is the third best song from "Rebel Heart"? Of course not. I am seriously in love with "Joan of Arc", "Hold Tight", "Body Shop" and "HeartBreakCity", and I would LOVE to see a clip for any of these songs. But is "Bitch, I'm Madonna" a perfect single? Unequivocally yes.

First there's the name. Perfect. This is the song title of the year. It was time for Madonna to embrace her pedigree and heritage. She redefined pop music, not just for women, but for everyone. And no one in pop has had her longevity, She has continued to have hit songs and albums, and more importantly, remained a pop culture phenomenon. Few artists remain in the news as much as she does. And she is worshipped by her fans, literally worshipped. She is Queen to so many, including me - in fact I'm about to get my second Madonna ink! Bitch, she is Madonna, and don't you forget it!

Second, she needed a club song. "Ghosttown" was a stunning ballad, stunning. And it got no airplay. The film clip was divine, never saw it on music TV. For everyone saying she shouldn't try and compete with younger artists, then you mustn't want her to sell any music. She needs to compete. EDM is massive, she needs an EDM hit - and Madonna has always been on the cutting edge of the latest pop music trends; and like it or not, "Bitch, I'm Madonna" is just that. Harder than normal pop, it's the Madonna edge.

Thirdly, there's the clip. Again, not everyone has liked it, but everyone is talking about it. I love it. It's fun, it's brash, it's star studded, it's Madonna. While Taylor's "Bad Blood" was filled with celebs, Madonna filled her clip with icons. She has Beyonce Vogueing for christ sake, It's not meant to be serious art, it's meant to be fun. And fun it is, I smile when I watch it! And that's not just cause Rita Ora looks so awkward!

Lyrically this is a brilliant song. It's about abandon, not caring about anyone else and just having a good time. You don't need to be Madonna to say, "Bitch, I'm Madonna" - you just need to have the right attitude. And I love all the references to her past work on this album. Here we get the great line, "You can't mess with this lucky star", and no you can't! And while Nicki Minaj is phoning in her verses right now, it's still fun and adds to the song.

This is a great dance song, it gets me moving whenever I hear it; and I've added to my upcoming birthday play list - I will be getting down on the floor to this slickly produced song. And I love Madonna's lower register as she speaks behind her vocals - again, it makes me smile.

While it may not go down as one of Madonna's best songs, it won't be forgotten. Madonna continues to surprise, excel and prove that she will be around for a long time. It is not easy to become an icon, and an icon can never be written off. And now I will continue to be excited as she will be here in Australia in March next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment