Tuesday 30 June 2015

My Top 40 Songs Of All Time!!!


Happy Birthday to me. 40 today. Cue the mid life crisis. But during the lead up to my 40th I have become quite reflective. I have had a few blogs looking back on my favourite things, but this is the ultimate - my 40 favourite songs of all time.
Now this was a HARD list to compile. The number one was obvious, it was the other 39 I had to battle through. Madonna made the list a few times, obviously, she is my favourite - by a long way. But it was interesting to see who else made it and who didn't. One each for some of music's biggest stars of a few years ago, Kylie, Prince, George Michael and two from Janet. There's some great pop songs, but a lot of beautiful ballads too. But enough teasing, time for the actual list. Please enjoy, and let me know your favourites in the comments section below:

40 - Crazy For You - Madonna



We're going to end this list with some Madonna, so why not start it with some as well? This classic Madonna ballad has always stood the test of time. It is such a beautiful song, with lyrics that touch the heart. Right from the start it sets the scene so beautifully, "Swaying room as the music starts, strangers making the most of the dark". Always wanted to get married to this wondrous song.

39 - Self Control - Laura Branigan



Before I fell in love with Whitney, and then Madonna, Laura Branigan was my favourite growing up. While most remember her for "Gloria", this was always my favourite. A slightly haunting pop song, it's all about losing yourself into the nightlife. I have always adored the lyrics, "I live among the creatures of the night" - have them stuck in my head again right now. Oldest song on the list.

38 - Try - Nelly Furtado



This heartbreakingly beautiful ballad is all about wanting to love someone who loves you, but the feeling just isn't there. Nelly sounds amazing and the extended ending is superb, apparently it was improvised in the studio - it's my favourite part of the song, it gives me the shivers all over. Upset this was never a hit, people should have heard it.

37 - The Story - Brandi Carlile



Another stunning ballad for the list, and this one had me from the opening lines, "All of these lines upon my face, tell you the story of who I am". It is such a passionate tune, Brandi sounds wonderful and the part where her voice cracks is so beautiful. Grey's Anatomy made this famous, but only because it was such an awesome song to begin with.

36 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - The Chimes



One of three covers on this list, the 1990 cover of the U2 song is so good that even Bono said he preferred this version. The U2 lyrics, the lazy beat and Pauline Henry's stunning vocals all culminate in a brilliant song that always make me happy when I hear it.

35 - Baby Baby Baby - TLC



This is a brilliant song that topped my list of TLC songs a couple of months back. It’s an amazing ballad with a slow groove, killer vocals and some spunky lyrics, “Long as you know that I can have any man I want to, it’s actual and it’s factual. But still I choose you…” It reminds me of high school and losing myself in music. A great song.

34 - Taller Than God - Strawpeople



A lot of people outside of New Zealand may not know this awesome 1996 tune from the Kiwi dance duo. There's something incredibly catchy about this chorus, a song about loving someone so much you love than more than anyone, even God. There's a haunting tone, a great dance beat and some slick vocals. I love this song so much I made a friend cover it for a show I was producing. If you don't know it, listen. Then love it.

33 - Dream on Dreamer - The Brand New Heavies



I was so insanely crazy for this song in 1994 while at Uni. I played this song on repeat for almost a year. Masters of the acid jazz sound, "Dream on Dreamer" was their signature tune. The great beat, melodic vocals and great lyrics made for such a catchy song. I now want to go listen to this all over again.

32 - You're Makin' Me High - Toni Braxton 



Just last week this song topped my Toni Braxton Top 5 list. It's a damn sexy song with Toni's trademark silky vocals and a great beat. Reminds me of my first boyfriend, and always brings a smile to my face. She is about to tour Australia for the first time, I want to go!

31 - Soulmate - Natasha Bedingfield



I don't think I could hear this song right now after my recent break up from an almost 4 year relationship. This heartbreaking ballad has so much passion, "Somebody tell me why I'm on my own, if there's a soulmate for everyone". Natasha sounds incredible and this song is a favourite of mine when I am feeling a little low.

30 - Frozen - Madonna



Entry two from Madonna and it is a truly stunning track with a trademark incredible video. With a co-write from long collaborator Patrick Leonard and produced by the amazing William Orbit, this track was the stand out from the popular, "Ray of Light" album. With melodic beats and haunting vocals, Madonna proves again why she is the Queen of the fucking world.

29 - Bleeding Love - Leona Lewis



I bleed love for "Bleeding Love". Leona Lewis has an angelic voice and she sounds divine here. Clearly this song is awesome, it was the highest selling song in the world in 2008. Leona's voice is so impassioned as she belts out, "I don't care what they say, I'm in love with you". This is one of those songs that once you hear it, it was be in your head all day. Addictive and divine.

28 - Brave - Sara Bareilles



I fucking love Sara Bareilles, I saw her last year in Melbourne and it was amazing. This has become my favourite song of hers. Partly because of the funky beat, partly cause of her amazing vocals, but mostly cause of those awesome lyrics. Written for a friend who was worried to come out of the closet, Sara challenged them to be brave. My heart sings.

27 - This Is It - Dannii Minogue



On my recent Dannii Minogue countdown, this song hit number one. It is a perfect piece of pop, great to dance and sing along with and is super camp and wonderful. This was everything in the mid 90s and it is still a guilty pleasure. Dannii may not be the most famous Minogue, but she always knew how to make kick arse pop/dance tunes.

26 - Gett Off - Prince

No film clip available I'm sorry. Prince has had so many hits over the years, but this is the tune that turned me from casual fan, to major one. The whole "Diamonds and Pearls" album is great, but this is definitely the stand out track. A piece of 90s funk, this is a dead set sexy song. It's cheeky, irreverent and makes me want to dance - love it!

25 - You're History - Shakespear's Sister



I still listen to this 1989 hit all the time. Shaking off her Bananarama roots, Siobhan Fahey joined Marcella Detroit to form a pop duo. The combination of Detroit's high voice and Fahey's lower register is perfection and the lyrics are so catchy. It's a simple song, but often the best tracks are.

24 - Love ... Thy Will Be Done - Martika



We're getting into tracks that I can't believe didn't get higher. This Price penned track is so very beautiful. A stunning drum and bass beat continues over Martika's light but wonderful vocals. The lyrics are a prayer and it is pretty damn inspiring. Martika proved with this track she was not just a teen sensation, but a true pop star.

23 - I Wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston



Only one Whitney song on the list and it is this funky little pop number that makes you want to dance and sing. Whitney showcases her effortless voice and the production is brilliant. This is such a brilliant song, and no wonder people still love to hear it and sing along whenever it comes on. Can't wait to dance to this at my birthday party.

22 - Chandelier - Sia



This was my favourite track of last year and clearly it was a track I loved cause it is already my 22nd favourite song of all time. Sia's stunning pop current classic is a beautiful contradiction, a true dance / party anthem all about alcoholism and blacking out drunk. Matched with an iconic video, Sia proved she was a brilliant pop star with this amazing song that just makes me want to do the dance from the film clip over and over again,

21 - I Wanna Be Down - Brandy



I'm a big fan of 90s R&B and Brandy ruled the genre back then. This, her debut track, has always been my favourite of hers. Laidback and funky, Brandy's voice soars over the lazy R&B/pop beats. This is a divine track that I love just as much as I did when it was first released.

20 - Tennessee - Arrested Development



I once went without food at Uni so I could buy Arrested Development's album, and I never regretted it. There is something stunning about this track, it feels nostalgic, while still sounding fresh, all these years later. Using beats, rap, singing and spoken word, this track is completely unique. It has so much passion, it makes my heart sing.

19 - Into the Groove - Madonna



Oh look, it's Madonna again! "Only when I'm dancing can I feel this free, at night I lock the doors so no one else can see". It's like Madonna was predicting my teenage years. The beat is exquisite and the lyrics speak to me. This was such a huge hit and still gets people excited to this day, it is a true pop classic.

18 - The Best Things In Life Are Free - Janet Jackson & Luther Vandross



This is such a fun and vibrant song that makes me happy. A bit pop, a bit dance, a bit R&B, this love song showcases the brilliant vocals of Janet Jackson and Luther Vandross. There's something very infectious about this song, and like so many on this list - has stood the test of time! Choose the remix, the rap in the original is a little superfluous.

17 - My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) - En Vogue



I put this song on at work last week and my assistant manager and I were singing along very loudly. Some young girls looked at us as if we were insane, they didn't know this song - and that's a shame. This is a brilliant piece of R&B. The girls sound amazing, and when they head to the breakdown, it is simply breathtaking.

16 - Fastlove - George Michael



The best track from George Michael is a sexy ode to casual sex to forget the pain of losing a loved one. There's a dirty beat, some great vocals and hot lyrics. Makes me want to dance and sing along. This track proves what a brilliant artist George Michael is.

15 - Heaven is a Place on Earth - Belinda Carlisle



This song may just sum up the 80s perfectly. A brilliant piece of pop from Ms Carlisle and her unique voice. I still often think of Madonna's backing singers impersonating her in "In Bed With Madonna" when I hear this song. I also like to do the Belinda walk and turn from the film clip when I hear this song. Tragic but fun. This is a great tune.

14 - Better the Devil You Know - Kylie Minogue



Something right happened when Kylie met Stock, Aitken & Waterman. They produced much of their best work with her. This song, and in fact the whole "Rhythm of Love" album, was just perfect pop - this was of course the highlight. Good pop gets stuck in your head, it makes you want to dance and it makes you love it still, all these years after it was released. Sing it with me, "Say you won't leave me, no more...."

13 - Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley



Oh Mr Astley, the first male celebrity I ever had a crush on! The crush may have gone but my love for this song will never leave - you can Rick Roll me anytime! Rick's voice is wonderful, so deep and soulful and Stock, Aitken & Waterman are on top of their game here. Some see this song as daggy, I see it as awesome!

12 - Red - Daniel Merriweather



This song breaks my heart. The lyrics are great and the vocals are sublime, but it reminds of someone I was very much in love with but had issues with mental health and addiction. I can listen to this song without crying now but still feel the weight of emotions and the brilliance of this song, "All of these problems, they're all in your head.... you took something perfect and painted it red." Gets me, everytime!

11 - Landslide - Dixie Chicks



While I adore the Stevie Nicks original, I simply love this cover. By making it a simple country song, Dixie Chicks really brought out the brilliance of this song about growing up and being an adult. The harmonies are wonderful and the vocals incredible. This song has been covered by many, but for me this will always be the definitive version.

10 - La Isla Bonita - Madonna



The top ten and here's Madonna again! Clearly this a favourite for Madonna as she does it on every tour, and my love for this track has only grown over the years. "I prayed that the days would last, they went so fast". Such passion in this song, it sets the scene for love so perfectly, and that beat is intoxicating. A true Madonna highlight, and I look forward to seeing what she does with it during the "Rebel Heart" tour.

9 - Stay - Shakespear's Sister



The second Shakespear's Sister song in the countdown and this is their best. I still remember hearing this song for the first time, I was in Year 12, and every Sunday night I would sit in bed in the dark with headphones on and listen to the UK Top Ten on the radio. I remember hearing this and falling deeply in love, then when I saw the clip I was even more gone. Beautiful and stunning!

8 - Back To Life (However Do You Want Me) - Soul II Soul



Soul II Soul were my band in high school. I used to write their name on one arm, and Madonna's name on the other. Loved all their hits, but this was my favourite - by a long way. There's something hypnotising about the beat and those great lyrics, the repeated use of "However do you want me" is perfect.

7 - Ordinary Angels - Frente!



Besides my friend's cover band, Frente! is the band I have the seen live the most. My high school best friend, Vera, and I, loved Frente! We have such different music taste, she loves The Cure, I'm for Madonna - but the pair of us share this amazing love for Angie and Simon. This is their best song, simple and beautiful. The lyrics are great and Angie's vocals sound amazing. Love this song.

6 - Put Your Records On - Corinne Bailey Rae



Some songs just perfectly evoke emotions, and set a scene, this wondrous track does just that. Taking us to a beautiful summer day, "Put Your Records On" just makes me smile. Corinne Bailey Rae's voice is angelic and the lyrics are lovely. I just can't get enough of this song, then and now!

5 - The Captain - Kasey Chambers



I once saw Kasey Chambers play the Sydney Opera for Music Max and she sang a stripped back version of this song and I cried, wept at its beauty. I am still so in love with this amazing song. Kasey's vocals are divine and the heart in this song is wonderful. This track introduced me to Kasey, and I have loved everything she's done since.

4 - That's The Way Love Goes - Janet Jackson



The highest non-Madonna song on the list, so you know I adore it. It reminds me of first going to clubs, whenever this came on I was stuck to the dancefloor. I couldn't guess how many times I have played this song in my life. Janet sounds wonderful over those lazy beats and the lyrics are great, "Life a moth to the flame burned by the fire, my love is blind, can't you see my desire", love it!

3 - Justify My Love - Madonna



Three more songs, all Madonna, of course. She is my favourite, my Queen. This song is just so God damn seductive. There's the very thick and luscious beats, and then there's Madonna perfect breathy vocals. Plus there's the amazing film clip. Madonna knows how to shock, but more than that, she knows how to entertain.

2 - Secret - Madonna




I didn't really enjoy Uni, I hated living away from home and I was battling sexuality issues, music got me through. So when this song came out it became my everything, a saviour. The track is very soulful and the slow groove is sublime. This track is truly underrated, it is a classic and just a brilliant piece of pop.

1 - Like a Prayer - Madonna



There could be no doubt what the number one on my countdown would be. This is literally my everything. I heard this for the first time on Easter Sunday in 1989 and it changed my life. The clip, the song, Madonna. It is as perfect as music could ever get. Lyrically it speaks to me, "Life is a mystery, everyone must stand alone, I hear you call my name and it feels like home." And then there's the vocals, so impassioned and wonderful. I have never loved a song more than this, and I never will! Thank you Madonna, you have made my life better with your music.

So that's my countdown. What's your favourite song of all time? Tell me in the comments section below. Now off to celebrate getting older!!

No comments:

Post a Comment