Thursday 25 June 2015

Top 5 Songs: Toni Braxton


Toni Braxton is one of those 90s/00s R&B/pop artists that I look back on with such affection. While she may not have had the massive discography of some of the artists I feature on the Top 5 lists, I love so many of her songs that I felt compelled to compile a Toni Braxton Top 5 list.
 There is something magical about her voice, it’s so silky smooth and sexy. She’s an artist who’s had some major hits but really deserved to be on top for longer. But let me not take away from her amazing achievements, she has sold over 66 million records worldwide – that is more than a little impressive. Plus, she has a catalogue of songs I love to revisit!

I was discussing this list with a friend and their first recommendation was “Unbreak my Heart”, and while it is a great song, it didn’t make the list. Other great songs missed out as well, surprised myself when I didn’t include “Another Sad Love Song”. Also a big fan, “You Mean the World To Me”, but it missed the list. These five were just too good to not include them.

So please have a look at the Top 5, and tell me your favourite Toni Braxton songs below:

5 – I Heart You


This was a later Toni tune, a 2012 track, and a US club hit. It is a full on dance tune. It such a great club tune and is a true pop anthem. The incessant beat is captivating and Toni’s vocals shine as usual. Love when she belts, “Think I’m gonna dance”, and the beat kicks in harder. I wish more people knew this song, because it is a great song that is a true Dive moment from an amazing artist.

4 – I Don’t Want To


Taken from her second album “Secrets”, an album that was in heavy rotation for me in 96/97, this is a stunning ballad about heartbreak. Written by R Kelly, it’s a true showcase for Toni’s powerful voice. I love the lyrics to this track, a heartbroken Toni can’t even bring herself to sing another love song, she can’t even hum the melody. I’ve listen to this song after a break up and thought the same thing. Gives me the feels, and the beautiful piano and slight beat only add to the amazing mood of the track.

3 – Breathe Again


This was the track that introduced me, and most of Australia, to the brilliance of Ms Braxton. This very 90s R&B pop track is so perfect. A classic from the team of LA Reid and Babyface, the ballad with a great beat invokes such passion. Vocally, Toni is on top here, showing such a wonderfully full range in this haunting tune. Her whole first album is a treat, but this is the best track and was a clear indication that Ms Braxton was going to stick around for a while.

2 – He Wasn’t Man Enough


I can barely describe my love for this song. While Toni may be known for her ballads, this song for me really shows the artist she is – sassy, sexy and brilliant. Taken from her third album, this is a perfect example of how much Darkchild produced songs were the best pop/R&B tracks from the early 00s. There is a wonderful attitude to this song, an arrogance that so is enticing. Lyrically you have to love it, telling a jealous woman not to worry about her man, she’s already had him and let him go. It always makes me smile and Toni, as always, sounds perfect.

1 – You’re Makin’ Me High


Songs are memories. That’s what this blog is so often about. And this damn sexy R&B track is an amazing memory for me. I fell in love to this song, and for a very brief first experience of love, this was our song. There’s a reason why songs become memories for us, the song is usually an amazing one – and this track is perfection. That dirty beat is exquisite. It is sexy, sexy track and Toni’s vocals are so very smooth. The film clip was also pretty hot. I truly love this song, a classic track and a highlight from an amazing career. Thanks for this song Toni, you will never know how much it means to me!


So you’ve read my list, now tell me your favourite Toni Braxton tracks in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment