Thursday 18 June 2015

Top 5 Songs: George Michael


Top 5 songs list time, and this week it's a big one. The man who is quite possibly my favourite male singer. The one, the only, Mr George Michael. A man who has made amazing music for decades and has left songs that are still as good as when they were first released.
Hasn't George come a long way since Wham? I love that he evolved from disposable pop to being such a majorly influential artist. His albums are pieces of art, he is a storyteller with a soulful, beautiful voice. Controversy aside, he is in the league of major pop artists who defined pop, videography and style. He is up there with Madonna, Michael and Prince. He is a true pop legend.

Now this was tricky whittling it down to just five, I mean it's George Michael for christ sake! Now the songs that weren't included on the list are some damn fine tunes. I know some fans may be upset that songs like "Faith" and "I Want Your Sex" weren't included, they are good, but not my personal favourites. Some big favourites that I love to listen to that missed out were, "Amazing", "Outside", "As", and I still can't believe I didn't include "Freedom" - even just for the incredible clip.

So the songs I have on the list I love with absolute pleasure. And remember to leave your favourite George song in the comments:

5 - Monkey



While most remember "Faith" and "I Want Your Sex" from the "Faith" album, this former US number one is my favourite on the album. There's a beautiful contradiction to this song, it sounds like a light pop sound with an amazing beat, but lyrically about a partner who's addicted to drugs. There's something I loved about this song when it first came out and I still love it. That dirty beat is just so damn seductive!

4 - Careless Whisper



George's official first solo single is a memorable one. This mid tempo ballad with that strong saxophone beat is brilliant. George's voice sounds so wonderful and those lyrics cut straight to the heart, the iconic, "No I'm never gonna dance again, guilty feet have got no rhythm" is wondrous. This could have been a cheesy track, but it is handled perfectly and it is still a truly brilliant track.

3 - Too Funky



This is as good as pop got in the early 90s. It is such an infectious song with a great dance beat, an amazing chorus and a truly iconic video - again using major supermodels of the day (even an early Tyra Banks appearance). It's a sexy song, something George Michael has always known how to do. And you have to love that sample from "The Graduate". When I hear this song, I smile, sing along and dance to the beat. A great, great song!

2 - Waiting For That Day



From the "Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1" album, this was not a massive hit for George but that doesn't matter to me, cause I love this song. Funnily enough, I only liked it when it first came out, but as the years went on, I have become a massive fan of this beautiful song and now love it. This melancholic mid tempo ballad with that amazing beat is lyrically powerful, and George's voice sounds incredible. "And if these wounds, they are self inflicted, I don't know how my poor heart could have protected me". Such beautiful words, such an amazing song that always gives me the feels.

1 - Fast Love



Now this is one of those times when it's not just my favourite song from an artist but it is one of my favourite songs of all time. It is just a supremely good song, a perfect piece of pop. Part R&B and all soul, this is one sexy song that is made for dancing, and maybe getting busy! There's just something special about this track, the lyrics and George's awesome vocals. Listen to it again, and enjoy the experience. Just added to my playlist of favourite ever songs for my upcoming 40th.

What's your favourite George Michael song? Tell me in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment